Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State file name

ag9
Level 3

What is the name of the extension for state files?

I am changing computers. I copied the data files (3 per client) from the old computer to the new one. But when I open a state file, it doesn't transfer. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, it should all be in that one file.

I think it should work the way you are doing it, but you may want to try this:

1. Install 2019 on the new computer (including the State).
  2. Put the 2019 client files in the 2019 Data folder.
  3. Open the 2019 program, verify the State information is there.
  4. Then transfer 2019 to 2020.

However, there are other files that you may find useful, especially the "common" folder files.  So you may want to transfer the "common" file, or even the entire ProSeries folder to the new computer.  You can do that with both 2019 and 2020.  In the event you don't have 2020 installed on the old computer, you may consider installing 2020, then transfer all of the folders/files to the new computer (especially the "common" folder).

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Do you have the State installed on the new computer?

All of the data (Federal and State) should all be part of the one main file.

0 Cheers
ag9
Level 3

Yes, the state program is installed. When the state data does not transfer, the program creates a state file without carrying over previous data. I have copied 3 files per client from 2019 data file:

1) a file with the 19 logo but no extension

2) 19i.cache

3) 19l.Pmd

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ag9 wrote:

the program creates a state file without carrying over previous data

Can you clarify?  Are you doing using the 2019 program or are you using the 2020 program?

When you more the 2019 files into the 2019 Data folder, can you use the 2019 program to open it, and see the State Data?

After doing that, when you are using the 2020 program, are you using the 'transfer clients' to import the 2019 information to start a new 2020 program?  And it transfers the Federal information okay, but not the State?

0 Cheers
ag9
Level 3

Thank you for responding to my question.

I am using the 2020 Basic program on my new computer. My old computer has 2019 program and data files. I copied the data files (3 per client) from the old computer onto a thumb drive then used the  transfer menu in the 2020 program to bring the files into the 2020 data files on the new computer. I can open the federal return fine, but when I go into the state return I get this message: "ProSeries could not locate the state file to transfer. If you have a 2019 state return for this client it can be transferred to this return. Note: if you choose don't transfer you will not be able to subsequently transfer data for this return."

I select transfer and the program prompts me to locate the file. I have tried both the cache and pmd extensions and they are not recognized.

Are all data files (fed & state) in the file labeled 19Data?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, it should all be in that one file.

I think it should work the way you are doing it, but you may want to try this:

1. Install 2019 on the new computer (including the State).
  2. Put the 2019 client files in the 2019 Data folder.
  3. Open the 2019 program, verify the State information is there.
  4. Then transfer 2019 to 2020.

However, there are other files that you may find useful, especially the "common" folder files.  So you may want to transfer the "common" file, or even the entire ProSeries folder to the new computer.  You can do that with both 2019 and 2020.  In the event you don't have 2020 installed on the old computer, you may consider installing 2020, then transfer all of the folders/files to the new computer (especially the "common" folder).

0 Cheers
ag9
Level 3

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Cheers