Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Depreciation Allowance

ritastone001
Level 5

For year 2020 a client has sold multiple tracts of land, not business use.  He also has a farm , he has purchased a large piece of equipment. Based on estimates, I don't believe he can 179 expense the equipment, it will take his farm into a loss. Since 179 can't be applied for this year can the Special Depreciation Allowance then be used? Even with this his income and deductions will cause the AMT to apply. I just want to be sure there isn't something I am missing about the application of the SDA.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

@ritastone001 wrote:

Based on estimates, I don't believe he can 179 expense the equipment, it will take his farm into a loss. Since 179 can't be applied for this year can the Special Depreciation Allowance then be used

Is the land sale and Sched F the only income for this client?  Sec179 can be allowed against W2 income.    Yes SDA can be used if not electing Sec179.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

@ritastone001 wrote:

Based on estimates, I don't believe he can 179 expense the equipment, it will take his farm into a loss. Since 179 can't be applied for this year can the Special Depreciation Allowance then be used

Is the land sale and Sched F the only income for this client?  Sec179 can be allowed against W2 income.    Yes SDA can be used if not electing Sec179.

ritastone001
Level 5

Thank you for your response. Sometimes just a simple yes or no answer helps to verify your train of thought is correct! 

dkh
Level 15

You're welcome. Completely understand that.

0 Cheers