Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone from the IRS PTIN office called me - not sure if this is legit or a scam

DTNY07
Level 7

I received a call earlier today from the IRS PTIN office.  Says they are in KC.  816-448-2116.

They did have my name.  Called both my land line and cell.  Had an american accent, so not the typical IRS scammer call

They haven't contacted me by mail first.  They didn't mention what it was about

i did return the call and left a voice mail.  Just my name and number, which they already had

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DTNY07
Level 7

It was legit.  I inverted two numbers on my PTIN when I entered it on the Pro Series software in the options wizard at the beginning of the year.  They sent me a letter, but I never received it.  Whoops

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Weird, PTIN renewals just opened for some people yesterday...did you try to renew?  Id log into your PTIN acct and check your messages in there.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DTNY07
Level 7

No, I didn't.   I didn't even know it was open yet for renewal.  I usually do it in December

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ahh, I always do it as soon as it opens, so I don't forget! LOL

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
DTNY07
Level 7

I forgot one year until I went to prepare my first return of the year.  My wife is my office manager, (just the two of us in my practice) so she reminds me now.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Some interesting stories here:

https://www.callercenter.com/816-448-2116.html

If they call back tell them you will be happy to talk to them after they finish processing the 7 million returns they still have left to work. 

PTIN's are issued through a  company with a private mailbox in El Paso.  I think it makes it more convenient to process the paperwork across the border,

DTNY07
Level 7

Thanks for the info.  i figured it wasn't legit since they didn't mail me the renewal, which is what they usually do  (or email me as my email is on file with them).  

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

It was legit.  I inverted two numbers on my PTIN when I entered it on the Pro Series software in the options wizard at the beginning of the year.  They sent me a letter, but I never received it.  Whoops