Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panels Basis for Treatment

gats1016
Level 3

My client purchased solar panels.  The solar panel company informed them that they could treat the purchase of the solar equipment as income-producing property and report depreciation and related expenses on a Schedule C.  The basis for this treatment rests with the fact that the taxpayer entered into a formal agreement with the utility company to sell the power generated by that solar equipment back to the utility.  These are referred to a Net Metering Agreements and they specify the rate and terms of the reimbursement of power generation.  Produced power flows back to the grid and is sold to the utility company.  The utility company reimburses the power production in the form of a financial credit to the customer account.  As such, the sale of that power can potentially be considered a taxable event.

Has anyone heard of this?  Or better have any experience preparing a Schedule C for this.  I'm skeptical. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I have also heard of this. 

I am also extremely skeptical. I believe it is a scam to get people to buy solar panels. The client would have to prove a profit motive for their schedule C. Who are the clients business clients? 

I did a google search and found Capture.JPG

with this link https://pcisolar.com/resources/save-money-with-the-federal-solar-tax-credit/ The result should tell you something  Did they sell your client the system?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

I have also heard of this. 

I am also extremely skeptical. I believe it is a scam to get people to buy solar panels. The client would have to prove a profit motive for their schedule C. Who are the clients business clients? 

I did a google search and found Capture.JPG

with this link https://pcisolar.com/resources/save-money-with-the-federal-solar-tax-credit/ The result should tell you something  Did they sell your client the system?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns