Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar investment tax credit - business - deprecation

josephfolsomcpa
Level 4

Regarding the solar investment tax credit for businesses, I understand that the credit is 26% of the qualified solar property and also that the basis in the business solar equipment has to be reduced by 50% of the tax credit from reading various articles. I can't seem to find the IRC code section or a publication that states that basis has to be reduced by 50% of the tax credit. Where can I find an actual IRS document that says this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

See IRS form 3468 instructions quote page 6 "You must reduce the basis of energy property by 50% of the energy credit determined"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

IRS Pub 946 https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#en_US_2019_publink1000107523

What Is the Basis for Depreciation?

The basis for depreciation of MACRS property is the property's cost or other basis multiplied by the percentage of business/investment use. For a discussion of business/investment use, see Partial business or investment use under Property Used in Your Business or Income-Producing Activity in chapter 1. Reduce that amount by any credits and deductions allocable to the property. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

See IRS form 3468 instructions quote page 6 "You must reduce the basis of energy property by 50% of the energy credit determined"

josephfolsomcpa
Level 4

Thanks!  I read those instructions and just totally missed that.

0 Cheers