Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software requires Federal 1120S and Federal Extension 7004 be attached to Indiana Return. The software has "attach pdf" shadowed and does not allow? How do I do this?

jeffrey
Level 5

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeffrey
Level 5

Tech support said, yes I am told to do it, but I don't have to. and not to worry about what the software tells me to do.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Have you tried to attach from the EFCenter? 

Highlight the Indiana SCorp return, then click Efile > Attach PDF and attach the pdf you have scanned/saved.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

a) The state return has to be marked for e-file.

b) Federal returns are already sent with the state return. It is SOP.

c) A pdf of the 7004 must be created first, saved, THEN attached to the state return. It can now be done while INSIDE the state return itself.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
jeffrey
Level 5

It will only allow me to attached to Federal. Which I do not want to do. I am in EF Center and the state return is open. and As I said, the "attach PDF" is shadowed and will not allow.

It will not work. this is the problem. I have done this dozens of times with Federal and other states with sucess.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Yes, I have. 

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Tech Support, says even though I am told to do it, it will automatically.

Once again, Pro Series says to do something. then there is no way to do it. When called they said, disregard the notice that they are telling me to. 

Wouldn't this company better serve us, if the instructions to do something internal were correct.

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Tech support said, yes I am told to do it, but I don't have to. and not to worry about what the software tells me to do.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

You didn't respond to my question about whether or not the IN return was marked for e-file. If not, you cannot attach anything. I made this mistake once until I went back in and marked it, and it worked.

The marking is in the fed w/s, but you still have to go into the state to "recognize" it as state e-filing.

In another guess, some states might not allow it. I created a dummy S corp and IN, and inside the IN s corp, the menu item for attaching PDFs is grayed out.

When I went to the EF Center and tried to attach a PDF, the "Attach PDF files" menu item is NOT grayed out, but the error message said "You must select a single return that allows PDF file attachments for electronic filing." IOW, IN doesn't allow it.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

During the IN error check and review, like all states, the message is that you must attach a copy of the federal return and the federal extension.

I believe that this is a message intended for paper filed returns, not e-filed returns, in this case. IN doesn't allow PDFs to be attached to e-filed returns.

IN doesn't allow them for 1040s either(IT-40s).

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

Wouldn't be great if our software developers could add "on paper filled returns"

AZ 140 returns 1040 Schedule A (fed) used to be attached on e file returns. Now software does it and error check message no longer appears like it does for this Indiana Error Check. They took it away there, why not for Indiana?

0 Cheers
jeffrey
Level 5

I replied to Lisa that yes e file is activated. It appears to be faulty ProSeries instructions. As per ProSeries Tech support.

Thank you for the help

0 Cheers