Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

social security

JONI9611
Level 3

Is form SSA 1099 taxable if received for Mom who passed. It is suppose to be life insurance?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
Accountant-Man
Level 12

This is a website for professionals. Please try TurboTax.com.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IRonMaN
Level 15

If it is on a 1099, it's fair game to be taxable.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do you meant the $250 death benefit? 

it's still taxable.

Ex-AllStar
JONI9611
Level 3

I really don't think people who are more experienced in the tax field should be so condescending. It is very rude.

0 Cheers
KMRentals
Level 2

Do you give consultations? I do my business tax returns every year, but I struggle to get accurate advice from a number of tax professionals I've consulted with the past few years. You've answered some questions on here that I've been looking online for for a while.

Alternatively, do you know where I can consult with competent accountants? Thank you for your time.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Try these guys:

https://www.natptax.com/EventsAndEducation/Pages/default.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0lhszrBg...

Or your state society of CPAs.

Regarding your question: <<accurate advice from a number of tax professionals >> Do you change accountants every year because the advice is inaccurate?

Since it is STILL tax season, I do not consult at this time of year.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

You asked <<Is form SSA 1099 taxable if received for Mom who passed. It is suppose to be life insurance?>>

1) Why would a person receive SS "for Mom" who passed? Mom received SS while she was alive. After she dies the SS ends.

2) "It is suppose[sic] to be life insurance?" is not a professional's question.

3) This is a website for professionals to share help and advice to other professionals, not Do It Yourselfers who want free advice. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it--nothing.

JONI9611
Level 3

I do my research. I paid for my software. i will continue to ask questions on here, I really feel sorry for you. LOL. Champion of the World.

0 Cheers
KMRentals
Level 2

I forgot that taxes were pushed back this year! Thanks for the feedback!!

I don't really use an accountant any more mainly because I never felt like I got any tax planning or understanding from using an accountant. Occasionally, I still have questions or something I want to revisit for a consult, but I never get satisfactory answers.

For example, I don't know how to capitalize property improvements correctly for a condo we rent. We have assessments and monthly fees, but I can't get a clear yearly breakdown from our association on what these are put toward. Last year, I talked to the condo management company's bookkeeper and then to an accountant who audits their books, and the answer I got was just to expense all of it because this is what the accountant did with his rentals. I asked if the condo association itself capitalized improvements and he responded "no, because they belong to the condo owners". I received a similar response from another accountant I was trying to consult with, but he was more wishy washy on it. Maybe it's just an issue of no accountant wants to bother with this level of detail or an audit will never look at the association books for improvements, but it's frustrating for sure.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@KMRentals 

"I don't really use an accountant any more mainly because I never felt like I got any tax planning or understanding from using an accountant. Occasionally, I still have questions or something I want to revisit for a consult, but I never get satisfactory answers.

For example, I don't know how to capitalize property improvements correctly for a condo we rent."

Uh, okay. I think you need to find a better Accountant, then. As Dave Ramsey states it, "You want someone with the heart of a teacher."

Since this right here is a Software Forum for users of ProSeries tax program, Lacerte tax Program, and ProConnect Tax Program, and you posted specifically into the ProSeries User forum, and you are not using this program as a Paid Professional to prepare your clients' tax returns...We can't be much help.

It's like you walked into a Truck Rally and want to ask us about your Prius.

There is a big Wide World on the internet, with lots of user communities. Some forums revolve around Job requirements, where, like here, people pay tens of thousands of $$$ for the programs they use on their jobs, doing their work, using this peer community where they trade info such as updates made for compliance with late Congressional actions, or State Nonconformity to Federal tax laws.

And some places are DIY. Intuit maintains a bunch of subforum communities at their TurboTax forums, for DIY to get help on a variety of topics. Not just at tax time, but All Year. It's a good place for you to go.

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

That's a Link. Click it.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dkh
Level 15

@KMRentals   Maybe the reason you aren't getting detailed answers is because you want this information for free from professionals that prefer to be paid for giving a consult.   Or maybe it's when and where you are asking these questions.   Are you stopping them in the grocery aisle, the local hardware ?     I once had someone ask me for tax assistance during a bridal shower with 8-10 people listening - sorry I don't work that way.  

KMRentals
Level 2

That is not correct.

I'm setting up appointments with accountants that work at some of the best firms in my medium sized towns. One is representing my condo association that we pay money to and he's telling me the wrong thing, so I can't tell my management company they need to modify their in-house bookkeeping accounting practices. It took multiple emails and phone calls to just arrange to discuss this one issue. This accountant and the bookkeeper are paid by our association dues, and I'm trying to address what I feel isn't a correct accounting practice.

The other accountant I spoke with was a paid consultation. My original response here was a request for a paid consultation. Good help is just hard to find in any profession imo- doctors, attorney, etc.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"My original response here was a request for a paid consultation."

But this is not a Job Board.

If you would go to a Condo community on the Internet, you'd likely get more help on Condo issues.

That's how the internet works.

0 Cheers
KMRentals
Level 2

The terms of service and guidelines indicate this is a public forum. I responded in what I thought was a semi-relevant post not related to ProSeries so as not to be disruptive of other threads.

I'm honestly surprised my reply got the attention of anyone else but the original poster for which is was intended. I'm sorry if my responses here were disruptive, but I appreciated the feedback I received here all the same.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"The terms of service and guidelines indicate this is a public forum."

Just look at the Top. Go to the Home Page. Use your analysis skills.

"in what I thought was a semi-relevant post"

Really? Because you didn't ask about Social Security (which is in the title) or how to enter it relative to using ProSeries (which is the web page title).

"not related to ProSeries so as not to be disruptive of other threads."

Right; not Any of the topics here are where you should ask for personal tax help or to Hire someone. That's why you go to the TurboTax forums, the condo forums, the IRS yourself, job boards, linked in, etc. You've been offered all of these resources.

"I'm honestly surprised my reply got the attention of anyone else but the original poster for which is was intended."

As you pointed out, this is a Public Internet forum.You are not in private conversation with any one person. You indicated you know this.

While the people using these three tax preparation programs paid Tens of Thousands of dollars to Intuit for their programs, here on this forum are the peer users, left on their own nearly 95% of the time to be their own customer support. And no one has successfully gotten Intuit to lock out participation to only those who have Licenses for the program, for which they paid dearly.

Seeing an open door doesn't mean you should walk in. And once you walk in, don't brag that you are able to walk in, as if that makes it Okay to stay.

You could already have gotten all the help you stated you needed, by asking one or two questions in the Right Forum, which is not any of the forums or subforums here.

Ask the googles:

turbotax condo rental

what are condo assessments used for

are condo assessment fees tax deductible

what are condo monthly fees

are condo monthly fees tax deductible

irs condo rental property improvement