Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So the Form 7202 says it wont be able to be Efiled?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

In the release dates:

Form 7202, Credits for Sick Leave and Family Leave for Certain Self-Employed Individuals (Taxpayer) Final on 01/28/2021, EF Not Allowed

Prepare for the complaints now.

And still no 8915E showing as going to be included....wooohooo be prepared for an angry mob with torches and pitchforks if that form doesnt get included!   

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Per the IRS E-File Business rules, from 7202 is not currently available for e-file, for more information on the schema click here.

That being said, ProSeries has the ability to be able to generate the form so that you can attach as PDF.

For more information generating form 7202 click here.
For more information on attaching PDFs to returns, click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

72 Comments 72
BobKamman
Level 15

Do you think the 7202 ban is from Intuit, or from IRS?  It may be that IRS wants to take a close look at each one before allowing it, because of the fraud connected to other high-dollar credits in the past.  

Ernie
Level 9

@Orlando  are these going to be included or attached as a PDF?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Or another case of Intuit "interpreting" what the IRS says vs how the the rest of the tax world interprets it..

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nice to see you Ernie.  Although it is a little hard to see you through all of that dust. 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Ernie
Level 9

Thanks @IRonMaN .  I thought of you when my lukefish didn't show up for Christmas.

How have you been? 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I've been doing well.  How about yourself? 

If I knew you were going to be stopping in today I would have picked up some chocolate ice cream on my way to the office this morning.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I'm asking in another group for people that use software other than ProSeries if they have the same limitation.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Does NOT appear to be an IRS limitation, other software has no indication that the form cannot be Efiled.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

is it possible that Intuit has not been approved for 7202 yet from IRS? Im guessing thats the case, Intuit seems to be behind on many things these last few years. 

athaureaux6
Level 8

I do not think you can attach it as a PDF. I believe you will have to eliminate the form (supporting worksheet) in order to attach it and that will erase the amount on Line 12 b scd. 3 . You can not input the amount of the sick leave credit directly on Line 12 b. it is transfer from the worksheet. And if you overwrite it, it will give you an error for e-filing. 

I personally believe that they have to fix this because it is going to cause a lot head aches if we can not efile a whole return because of this. 

Ernie
Level 9

I have been doing well also.  I have come to like chocolate ice cream - starting to stay away from vanilla though - who knew???

IRonMaN
Level 15

2020 was a weird year.  Your conversion to chocolate ice cream kinda proves that 😉

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Now Im seeing from someone else that the IRS Schema isnt updated for this form since it uses a 2019 lookback (the people that said it was allowed to be efiled in their software, may not realize it cant be done yet?)...but the EIC form does a 2019 lookback too...soooo I dunno what the truth is.

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

Hello!  I'm an Intuit employee who works in development on the business products.

We have confirmed with the IRS that Form 7202 is not efileable.

Ernie
Level 9

@SDJayhawk, When we have a return with 7202 will we have to paper file the return or will we e-file the return with that form as an attachment?

Dusty Ernie

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

We aren't able to confirm if Form 7202 can be filed as a generic PDF attachment at this time but we are exploring it.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I posted this on another thread, but I'll post it here too ....

I got a response from Drake ...  

TaxGuyBill_0-1611004526831.png

Although Form 7202 or 8915E can not be directly e-filed, it CAN be attached as a PDF (and Drake automatically flows the numbers and prompts you to attach the PDF).

What ProSeries will do, I have no idea.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What about the 8615E...PDF attachment?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I forgot to mention that ... Drake says the same thing.  PDF attachment.  I'll edit my post above to add that.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just don't post again ------------------ that smiley face appears to be growing with each post.  Pretty soon it is going to be the size of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

LOL.  Yeah, I have no idea why that got so big.  I copy-and-pasted my answer from the other post, so maybe that made it act weird.

🍹

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Just testing the Stay Puft pictures ...

TaxGuyBill_0-1611011676291.png

TaxGuyBill_1-1611011681036.png

TaxGuyBill_2-1611011684206.png

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yep, the copy and paste makes it big.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

TaxGuyBill_0-1611011848931.png

athaureaux6
Level 8

I do not know how it will be sent as a PDF. If we remove it from the return to attach it as a PDF the software will delete the amount that flowed to the 7202 line. I already tried it, if you leave, it will not allow it to efile it. I believe they should fix this because for this year, that form will be used a lot I think. But I can see the IRS is expecting a lot of fraud with this because it has happened before. But I hope they fix this problem. 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@athaureaux6 wrote:

if you leave, it will not allow it to efile it. 

You are right, Intuit NEEDS to allow a return to be e-filed with the PDF.  That is not optional.

@Just-Lisa-Now- , can you post this in the Lounge and let the Moderators know that this is NOT an optional thing, it is something that the developers NEED to do.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@SDJayhawk was checking into this, but I'll throw it up in the Lounge as well.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Thank you!

As a side note, I never trust the "checking into this" from Intuit.  They say that way to often and then it seems like they hope you forget about it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I never trust the "checking into this" from Intuit"

That goes to the Checking Into This Team.  But it doesn't help matters to try and get Intuit to listen to us if Lisa is spending her time throwing up in the lounge 🤒

Slava Ukraini!
Bsch4477
Level 3
Level 3

I received this reply from Taxslayer. 

To the best of our knowledge it (Form 7202) is allowed to be e-filed.  We have found no information to the contrary at this time.  As the form is new, we are still waiting on the final specs from the IRS, so that could change, but as of now we believe so. 

@SDJayhawk Can you give us a citation from the IRS which makes a determination regarding this?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Bsch4477 wrote:

I received this reply from Taxslayer. 

To the best of our knowledge it (Form 7202) is allowed to be e-filed.  We have found no information to the contrary at this time.  As the form is new, we are still waiting on the final specs from the IRS, so that could change, but as of now we believe so. 

@SDJayhawk Can you give us a citation from the IRS which makes a determination regarding this?

Generally, there would not be a citation to say something like this can not happen.  The citation would be the 2020 MEF programming specs, which likely does not show Form 7202.  The software companies may verbally communicate with the IRS and be told something (such as "no, we are not programming that to e-file, that is why it is not in the MEF specs").  So it may be true that they don't have information that it CAN'T be e-filed, they likely don't have information that it CAN be e-filed.

I understand why the IRS and software companies would not want to program this form for MEF; is only valid for a year or two.  It is annoying, but I understand it.

But as previously mentioned, this needs to be able to be attached as a PDF.  And ProSeries needs to program it so we can fill out the 7202 in the software and have the numbers flow to where they need to be, and still allow us to e-file the tax return (with the 7202 as a PDF attachment).

athaureaux6
Level 8

I really hope that PS will fix that problem and at least allow us to attach it as a PDF. It is going to be very problematic if they do not fix it. But if Drake did, they will have too, it is the same company. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, Drake is NOT the same company.  Drake is a GOOD company that care about its software and its customers.  Intuit (the owners of ProSeries) doesn't care about its software's accuracy or customers.

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

All - 

Form 7202 is not set up for efile in the IRS system so will not be supported. 

We have inquired and not received clear guidance from the IRS to date, but the IRS will allow the PDF attach of any form. 

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

IRonMaN
Level 15

@SDJayhawk  - But part two of the question was about fixing the issue of actually completing form 7202.  From what I understand, if you complete the form in the software, you will get a message that prevents e-filing of the the return because form 7202 is "attached" to the return.  Will something be done to allow folks to actually complete the return using the form and then attach the 7202 as a pdf?

Slava Ukraini!
SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

All - 

The form is not part of the IRS efiling system.  A return with a Form 7202 will not be blocked from efiling as long as the Form 7202 is attached as a PDF to the return.  

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@SDJayhawk  Maybe you answered and the anvils are taking its toll, but in order to get to the point of being able to create a pdf, folks will be entering data into the form 7202 included in their program.  Will they be able to transmit the return with the completed form in the software or are they going to have to delete the form and then override the software to get the numbers to flow through the return?

Slava Ukraini!
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi, I wonder if you know how to attach it as a PDF without deleting it. If we fill it up, the credit will flow to line 12 b, but as soon as you erase it, the software will erase the amount of the credit in line 12 b. The only solution will be to allow, in Line 12 b, to input the amount of the credit manually, I do not see any other option. I talked to somebody who  uses Drake, they can do that way. I hope you guys will fix it. 

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

All - 

I apologize for the confusion....

Prepare the return which includes Form 7202 with the credit amount flowing as designed.  Print a PDF copy of Form 7202 and attach it as a generic or "other" PDF attach to the electronic filing.  Since the Form 7202 is not part of the electronically filed return, it does not need to be removed.   The form is included in the electronic filing as a PDF attachment.

Please let us know if the above doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Will we have to turn off error checking in order to convert for Efiling? or will it just be ignored and not cause an error?

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

It should not cause an error.  Are you guys seeing error messages related to this situation?  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not enough forms are final to be able to convert anything for Efiling yet...so we dont know yet.

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

of course there is an error. you need to delete the form because you said it. it can 't be efiled. when you delete it, the credit disappears. Nobody knows how to attach it as a pdf without deleting it.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Id be very surprised if we could leave it in there as is without an Efile error.

I know you mean well @SDJayhawk Stephanie, but this isnt how the forms generally work. 

If a form that cant be Efiled, is included in a return, then the only way to efile that return is to delete that unEfileable form....or maybe turn off the error checking at the time of conversion.

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

Fair enough!  I'll do some more digging....thanks for the information.

SDJayhawk
Employee
Employee

I've passed along the concerns to the appropriate development team.  Form 7202 is not final and is still in the development process.  When released final, you will not have to mail a return that contains a Form 7202.  

athaureaux6
Level 8

Thank you SD

I would like you to join us and help us with the provision for the EITC, we have been discussing it for a week and still it is so confusing, I even called the IRS and they got me more confused. Maybe you have more access to them than us. It is the provision approved at the end of the year to allow people use their earned income from 2019 if it is higher and more convenient than 2020 due to the virus. But the part where everybody is confused is in the case somebody only received unemployment, 0 earned income. The law is vague, 0 earned income is less than the earned income from 2019. Could you please provide feedback. You have been very helpful. 

0 Cheers
wes5
Level 2

To the great team in the Intuit software development dept.  I just don't understand why

you don't put out an ALERT that you will be providing a fulling integrated 8915E that

in worse case scenario will have to be a pdf attachment if IRS does not approve the

form for e filing.  The other question is where is the Intuit management team??

Are they already on v/c or just asleep at the wheel, b/c why are they not providing

whatever resources and tools that the software team needs to provide us this mandatory

8915E form that we need to account for 401K distributions under the Cares Act??  If

other software providers such as Drake software has had the form from day 1, why is

it that Intuit cannot provide us this form??  The proseries forum indicated that there is 

over 50,000 subscribers so you would think you would have the resources to get us this

important form.  Hopefully my fellow subscribers agree with me.

athaureaux6
Level 8

You are right. I love the software but it is almost time and many other software have the updates already in place. Intuit is supposed to be the leader company and the software is one of the most expensive, which I do not care, but they need to be more diligent about this. 

0 Cheers