Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEP 25% limit

RichardS77
Level 4

I have a client that wants to max out his SEP amount   to  25%  of his net earnings form self-employment, schedule C.  The Keogh, SEP and Simple contribution Worksheet on line 4 of SEP and individual limits shows .20.  why  isn't it .25 if the max is 25%?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

For Schedule C net income, the sep contribution is approximately .1859 I believe and not 25% ... The reason I believe for this is fica/ Social Security adjustment for self employed... hoped this help... Just my opinion

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
PATAX
Level 15

For Schedule C net income, the sep contribution is approximately .1859 I believe and not 25% ... The reason I believe for this is fica/ Social Security adjustment for self employed... hoped this help... Just my opinion

Camp1040
Level 10

The worksheet makes an adjustment for SE tax and other stuff: Pub 560

Deduction Limit for Self-Employed Individuals.

If you make contributions for yourself, you need to make a special computation to figure your maximum deduction for these contributions. Compensation is your net earnings from self-employment, defined in chapter 1. This definition takes into account both the following items.

• The deduction for the deductible part of your self-employment tax.

• The deduction for contributions on your behalf to the plan.

The deduction for your own contributions and your net earnings depend on each other. For this reason, you determine the deduction for your own contributions indirectly by reducing the contribution rate called for in your plan. To do this, use either the Rate Table for Self-Employed or the Rate Worksheet for Self-Employed in chapter 6. Then, figure your maximum deduction by using the Deduction Worksheet for Self-Employed in chapter 6.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Follow the SEP contribution worksheet for the math, but for self employed individuals it ends up being 20% of net,  not 25%

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Employer has $125,000 to give to employee.  Gives wages of $100,000, plus 25% for SEP ($25,000).

Self Employed person has Net Earnings of $125,000.  To keep things equal, SEP is still $25,000, which is 20% of Net Earnings.  That is why Self Employed people use 20%.

As was pointed out, after factoring the 1/2 SE tax deduction, it actually works out to something like 18.57% of SE profit.