Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self employment tax income flowing from 1120S K-1

Buckeye
Level 2

How do you get ordinary business income on a K-1 1120s to flow to Schedule SE?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You were told wrong. That would be true (most likely) if it was a partnership K-1.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
apex
Level 1

Ordinary income from 1120s is not subject to SE.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Your client should have received a W2 from the S-Corp for his wages/earned income.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Buckeye
Level 2

I was told by the CPA firm that prepared the 1120 S that ordinary business income on line 1 of K-1 is subject to ss taxes.

0 Cheers
Buckeye
Level 2

More specifically, line one is subject to ss tax.  It is ordinary farm business income.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You were told wrong. That would be true (most likely) if it was a partnership K-1.

Ex-AllStar
Buckeye
Level 2

Yes you are right. I just received a call from CPA firm correcting themselves.

HARTLEY
Level 1

What if I want to have my profit to go on an SE and to pay social security tax?  I don't have much paid in to social security and did not take payroll.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"What if I want to have my profit to go on an SE and to pay social security tax?"

Then you need to pay yourself a payroll check.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What's the point of an SCorp if youre going to pay SE tax on your profit...you may as well have stayed a sole proprietor.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's the problem.  A lot of folks take advice from their barber's neighbor's cousin and create Sub S entities when they should have been a sole proprietor.

Slava Ukraini!