Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sale of rent house on 4797 Part 1 shows 0 for loss

roniswindell
Level 3

Sale of rent house on 4797 Part 1 should show loss of $10,000, instead shows -0-

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roniswindell
Level 3

Just-Lisa-Now, thank you, thank you, thank you.  The key to the program doing the whole passive activity loss and loss on the sale of the rental property was that Box H on the Schedule E Worksheet.  That did it!  I guess I have never had a client in this particular predicament with the passive losses and sale combined.  Thanks again!

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you sell it from the asset entry worksheet?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
roniswindell
Level 3

Yes

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

4797 Part 1 should show sales price, depreciation, cost basis and the end result...are you saying some of the figures are wrong?

0 Cheers
roniswindell
Level 3

I believe that is the problem.  By reporting it as sold on the asset entry worksheet, it lumps it into the passive activity loss limitations on Form 8582 line 1b, and puts -0- on the loss allowed on the 4797.  If I check the box for other passive activity exemptions on the Schedule E Worksheet, item G, it lets the loss show on the 4797, but then does not let the current year loss limitations on Form 8582 line 1b show, but has -0- there.  There should be a way to get the correct current year unallowed loss to show on the property, but still be able to report the loss on the sale of the property.

How do I do that?

0 Cheers
roniswindell
Level 3

The 4797 shows the correct sales price, cost and depreciation but not the correct end result.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What EXACTLY are the numbers showing up in columns (d), (e) and (f) on the 4797?

Do any of those numbers seem wrong compared with what you have on the Asset Entry Worksheet?

roniswindell
Level 3

d, e, and f are all correct, yet g shows -0-.  It should show a loss of 10,506.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Be sure you've checked Box H on the Sch E worksheet

roniswindell
Level 3

Just-Lisa-Now, thank you, thank you, thank you.  The key to the program doing the whole passive activity loss and loss on the sale of the rental property was that Box H on the Schedule E Worksheet.  That did it!  I guess I have never had a client in this particular predicament with the passive losses and sale combined.  Thanks again!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think we've all been there ....one time! LOL  now that box is the first thing I check when a rental is sold!

cowboys15
Level 2

I have same problem, I don't see what you mean by checking Box H?

I am in Lacerte

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You may want to ask over in the Lacerte discussion topics
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax/discussion/03/302