Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSU W2 no withholding

h0250722
Level 3

My client has a W2 with Box 1 wages of 320k (this includes RSU from Line 14 of about 130k)

Fed Tax Withholding is only about 60k

He sold all the stocks as soon as they vested - so no real gain/loss as for capital gains.

I have entered the RSU transactions on 1099-B -> Emp Stock Wks (part VI done) -> Capital g/l adj 

which produces the  Employer Stock Compensation Income Wks and shows the exact same total as on Line 14 of the W2.

Approx 30% of the stocks were nettet to cover taxes (the transaction statement lists a split in Fed Taxes, Social Sec and Medicare). But where would I enter these tax amount? It is not included in Box 2 of the W2.

1099B shows no tax withheld. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YOU cant fix it, you need something that shows what was withheld and paid into IRS....at this point it sounds like nothing was paid in.  They need to contact their employer for some kind of explanation or corrected statement

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
all the W/H should be on the W2. Have you looked at a year end check stub to see what the Fed W/H on wages should be? maybe they screwed around and filed exempt at some point in the year and you're seeing the RSU withholding already included in Box 2?

0 Cheers
h0250722
Level 3

In Box 2 is only withholding for the actual wages. But no withholding for the "netted shares". Any suggestion how to fix that? Or how to enter it in Proseries?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YOU cant fix it, you need something that shows what was withheld and paid into IRS....at this point it sounds like nothing was paid in.  They need to contact their employer for some kind of explanation or corrected statement