Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRA conversion & Form 8606

khorshed
Level 3

Retired couple in their late 70's, made a $40K Roth IRA conversion from Traditional IRA.

Fidelity sent them a letter seeing they must file Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA).

When I go to Form 8606 Part II line 16 is blank, when I click on it takes me to the 1099R.

My question is why line 16 on Form 8606 is blank?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

You fill in the info from the 1099-R. Then, you use the Form 8606 for the details that apply.

And this cannot exist: "Retired couple in their late 70's, made a $40K Roth IRA conversion from Traditional IRA."

There is One Account Owner. That is who you are working on for this task. That one person: taxpayer or spouse.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
khorshed
Level 3

Thank you, The question's I filled out 1099R worksheet why Form 8606 is not populated.

You're absolutely correct, it's the taxpayer not the spouse.

Thank you again

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"why Form 8606 is not populated"

Once you fill in the 1099-R, you need to also indicate that this was converted and not simply kept as a distribution. Or, if the 1099-R code is Direct Transfer, that still means the sending entity might not code it as Conversion; they code it for the money Out, and not what is happening at the receiving end.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers