Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof replacement where customer only paid deductible

coconnor13
Level 1

Looking for some insight. I have a client who had a roof replaced due to storm damage on his rental property. He paid $1,000 deductible and insurance covered the rest. 

Do I need to depreciate the roof using the cost of his deductible or is this an expense?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Sounds like it to me too.  I generally recommend that the taxpayer make the safe harbor election for small taxpayers when available, and then take the blank stare on their face as consent to do so.  Then we don't have to spend any time at the BAR trying to figure out if this was a repair or somehow a better adapted restoration.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like an expense

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Sounds like it to me too.  I generally recommend that the taxpayer make the safe harbor election for small taxpayers when available, and then take the blank stare on their face as consent to do so.  Then we don't have to spend any time at the BAR trying to figure out if this was a repair or somehow a better adapted restoration.

coconnor13
Level 1

Thanks for the advice and chuckle!!! Have a great day

0 Cheers