Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMD requirement waived for 2020

Greta
Level 9

I read this in the NY Times Q&A summary of the recently passed rescue bill. The reasoning is that folks ought not have to sell their deflated stocks in order to take out the 2020 RMD. This might be something to inform clients about.... Also the 10% penalty for withdrawing from a 401K or IRA before age 59 1/2 may be waived. That was common during the 2008 financial crisis, but the penalty was not waived then.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Under certain conditions penalty on up to $100K withdrawal is waived, and tax can be paid over 3(?) years.

RMDs for 2020 are waived.

Both provisions in CARES Act.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Under certain conditions penalty on up to $100K withdrawal is waived, and tax can be paid over 3(?) years.

RMDs for 2020 are waived.

Both provisions in CARES Act.

Ex-AllStar
msmith7305
Level 7

I have seen absolutely nothing about what relief might apply, however, to those who have already taken their RMD. There would need to be a waiver of the no RMD Rollover rules and a relaxation of the 60 day rule even if they decided to allow rollovers.

What a mess.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesn't this start on 4/2?    If people took the money out prior to 4/2 is wouldnt be penalty free, right?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

The waiver for the early withdrawal penalty states that it's due to Corona Virus (on Form 5239 I assume). In the 2008 recession, my unemployed clients withdrew from their IRAs to live on, but the penalty was not waived. The waiver of the penalty makes sense.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Not only is the RMD waived, you can elect to pay the federal income tax on the distribution over 3 years (similar to the carryover rule in 2010-11-12) or have the option to repay the distribution within a 3-year period to an eligible retirement plan (basically, a 3-year rollover window).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.