Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return lost at Intuit?

gary1861
Level 4

I e-filed a return (IRS and VA) on February 12.  The federal return status says that it has been received by Intuit - and has said that for almost 2 weeks.  On the other hand the state return (which also said received by Intuit was then rejected by VA - because the IRS hadn't accepted the federal return.  So I am guessing something is fouled up at Intuit with this return.  Is there a number to call to figure out what is going on with an e-filed return that seems to be in limbo?  I have never had this happen before, so I am not sure what to do.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1861
Level 4

Update.  The problem is that my "lost return" has a Schedule H.  Intuit has moved all of them into a black hole due to some issue with the IRS.  Note that Schedule doesn't have a yellow strip stating that the form isn't available.  Note that ProSeries allows you to e-file a return with the Schedule H.  They just don't do anything with the return.  Severe lack of communication!  Only cost me 2 hours of time, as the agents did everything possible to locate the return, gave me some secret code so I could kill the original submission, killed the subsequent duplicate SSN issue, etc.  Only thing I accomplished is that instead of it being in the black hole since 2/12 it is now going in today.  Too bad no one knew about the Schedule H issue until we had down all of the above work.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

This happened to two of my returns -- though the state only. The federal went through fine.

You will have to make sure you update your ProSeries, then retrieve the e-file acknowledgement for the return, and then it will give you a reject. To fix the reject, just open the return and run a review (after updating ProSeries, of course), and it should clear the reject, and then it should go through fine.

I don't let things sit for more than a day! If Intuit doesn't file it within 24 hours, I'm on them like flies on.... well, you know.

Good luck, and have a great season.

0 Cheers
gary1861
Level 4

I am not sure I follow what you are doing.  I go to e-file and "receive acknowledgment statuses" - nothing comes back on this file.  If I go to the EF Center the file is in the pending tab and if I click on the update EF status it just states that the federal return was received by Intuit.  It isn't giving me a rejection.  Is there something else I need to do to get the reject?  Once the federal return is resolved, then I can resubmit the state return, that I am not worried about.

0 Cheers
ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

First of all, did you do a full update, the "Refresh updates for installed products," which may take a while? If you didn't do the full update, it won't clear, because it doesn't have the corrected software.

If you are 100% sure you have the most recent software, then:

1. From the E-File center, select the return(s) that have "sent to Intuit" as the status

2. Select the "E-file" drop-down menu, then "Receive Acknowledgement Statuses" 

3. When it does that, the "Sent to Intuit" should turn into "Reject." Then you can click on the "Reject" link to open the return. Review both the federal and the state, then save it, and e-file. 

If that doesn't work, give Intuit a call and yell at them. Nicely. 🙂 

Good luck!

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I don't know if this will help, but ...

Go to the EF tab.  Highlight the client file.  Go to "Efile", then "Electronic Filing", then "Update ...Selected Returns".

gary1861
Level 4

I did everything mentioned, but the status is still file received by Intuit.  I guess I have to make a phone call.  Since no one mentioned a specific number for e-filing issues, I will pitch a tent and wait it out - and hopefully not fall asleep when someone finally picks up.

0 Cheers
gary1861
Level 4

Update.  The problem is that my "lost return" has a Schedule H.  Intuit has moved all of them into a black hole due to some issue with the IRS.  Note that Schedule doesn't have a yellow strip stating that the form isn't available.  Note that ProSeries allows you to e-file a return with the Schedule H.  They just don't do anything with the return.  Severe lack of communication!  Only cost me 2 hours of time, as the agents did everything possible to locate the return, gave me some secret code so I could kill the original submission, killed the subsequent duplicate SSN issue, etc.  Only thing I accomplished is that instead of it being in the black hole since 2/12 it is now going in today.  Too bad no one knew about the Schedule H issue until we had down all of the above work.

ShoeBox Taxes
Level 5

So sorry to hear it was a mess. Glad you worked it out. Usually they're better than that about telling you when there's an issue.

That's a lesson to me (and all of us) to watch for acks this year. Looks like we're entering Month 15 of 2020.....

0 Cheers