Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize or lock a column in place in Homebase

clr600
Level 8

2019 you could resize and lock columns in homebase 2020 you cannot ???

To resize and lock columns, so they don't move when you scroll across the client file view in HomeBase:

1. Go to the HomeBase menu and select Column Headings.
  2. In the Columns dialog box, go to the Selected columns list and select the column that you want to resize or lock.
  3. Click Properties.
  4. When the Properties dialog box appears, do one of the following:
    • To change the width of the column, enter the new width in the Column Width field, then click OK.
    • To lock the selected column in place, click Locked, then click OK. When you scroll across the client file view in HomeBase, the locked column and all columns to the left of that column do not scroll.
  5. Click OK.

Does not work

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just checked 2020 in PSPro and it saves the column widths after you change them, I just dragged and dropped the vertical line separating the columns where I wanted it  (I hadnt checked when I commented previously).  I made a few wider, then exited the program, when I restarted the program and signed back in, those columns were still set to the width I had changed.

The EFCenter HB has never been customizable, but I sure wish it was!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Orlando  should we start tagging you in program issues like this? 

Ive seen you comment on other ones, are you keeping a list of things that need to be fixed?

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Yes, please! That would be great. I'll still scan as much as I can, but the tagging is very helpful.

For this, I'll check with our Product Manager. It's possible the new custom views was supposed to replace it, but I'm not sure. I know the scroll zooming was overlooked.

Also, in case you're wondering... Homebase was running on technology from a company that went out of business 5 - 10 years ago. This year we switched to something modern, which was a major undertaking.  I'd appreciate any reports of issues or cases where the experience could be improved.

Thank you!

Orlando

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Where did you come up with those instructions, as they are not for Proseries Pro that I am aware of. If you want to change size of column's just hoover mouse over column, and drag to width you need. Not aware of any way to lock column's to a width.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I just checked 2020 in PSPro and it saves the column widths after you change them, I just dragged and dropped the vertical line separating the columns where I wanted it  (I hadnt checked when I commented previously).  I made a few wider, then exited the program, when I restarted the program and signed back in, those columns were still set to the width I had changed.

The EFCenter HB has never been customizable, but I sure wish it was!

clr600
Level 8

They are in the 2019 Pro help file

0 Cheers
clr600
Level 8

This works

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

In terms of locking the columns, so that they stay in place when you scroll..

2020-11-23_08-29-37.png

For TY19 you could lock anything. For TY20 it looks like The Client Name and File Name are locked by default, and you don't have the ability to lock anything else. How impactful is that change? Would it be a nice to have to get it to work the way it did in TY19, or does it significantly impact the way you work? (Asking just for prioritization reasons)

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

As far as EF Center Customization goes.. Let me ask about that.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

For customizing EF Center.. would you want to just remove and reorder columns, or would adding other columns be desirable?  Currently the EF Center only has the columns common to all Form Types (1040, 1120, etc).  Allowing you to add columns that are relevant to some Form Types but not others will take a bit more work and thinking. I'm sure we can do it.. just want to confirm first. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Orlando wrote:

For customizing EF Center.. would you want to just remove and reorder columns, or would adding other columns be desirable?  Currently the EF Center only has the columns common to all Form Types (1040, 1120, etc).  Allowing you to add columns that are relevant to some Form Types but not others will take a bit more work and thinking. I'm sure we can do it.. just want to confirm first. 

Personally, if I could just reorganize the columns in the EFCenter that would be great..I want my clients names/SSN with their refund/balance due and how its being paid to be visible on the first window I see, not have to scroll waaaaay over to the right to see those items.    There are some columns I dont use at all (E signature, audit assistance and that one that says Next Step, I have no use for), so if I could just get those thrown over to the right instead of the columns I want to see, that would be a huge improvement for me.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@Just-Lisa-Now- for 2020 in efile view, just left click and hold on the heading then move it where you want

I believe you could also do that for other years

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@Just-Lisa-Now- @Orlando Just checked, and you can also move the columns where you want in 2019. don't know when that was added, as I use the columns as is.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thank you! Just to show what that looks like:

2020-11-23_13-12-17-1.gif

Try that out @Just-Lisa-Now-  and let me know if there's any additional improvements you'd like to see.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If we could drag and drop the columns into whatever order we wanted like that, you'd be my hero! LOL

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I never tried moving them! Doh!

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Not exactly discoverable.. we aspire to creating help / videos to show the homebase changes this year. Also note the filter/search capability, if you click on the pin for any given column:

2020-11-23_13-50-23.png

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

they don't stay for me - using 2020 Pro

sherrithegrape
Level 2

I made a custom view in Proseries pro and i can't get it to hold the column widths i set in 2020.

help!

clr600
Level 8

It does not stay. Whenever I make another custom view all others go back to the original set.