Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting password for Intuit Link

david3
Level 7

I am using Intuit Link for the first time. The first client I sent an invitation to forgot the password they used when setting up their Intuit account.

She said she was never able to reset her password because the reset option just emailed her a code and when she entered the code she was asked for her password, which she couldn't remember. There was never an option to reset the password. 

When she clicked on Contact Intuit, nothing happened. 

She was so frustrated that she faxed all her tax information.

Of course, I can't see what she's talking about but I don't want Intuit Link to be frustrating for clients to use. People forget their passwords and I can see during the tax season we will have many who will upload information over several weeks/months and may forget their password.

For those of you who use Intuit Link - how are you able to help clients with this situation?

Thanks.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

After your client enters the email address (or User ID), the next dialog box that prompts for password has a link that says I forgot my Intuit password.  Clicking on it will trigger Intuit to send an email to the email address associated with her account.

The email she receives will have a link with a token for password reset.  On the webpage that the link opens, she should enter a new (instead of the old) password.  I've tested this multiple times over the years and it has always worked.

Now, if your client no longer has access to the email address associated with her account, that's where she may run into problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
itonewbie
Level 15

After your client enters the email address (or User ID), the next dialog box that prompts for password has a link that says I forgot my Intuit password.  Clicking on it will trigger Intuit to send an email to the email address associated with her account.

The email she receives will have a link with a token for password reset.  On the webpage that the link opens, she should enter a new (instead of the old) password.  I've tested this multiple times over the years and it has always worked.

Now, if your client no longer has access to the email address associated with her account, that's where she may run into problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
david3
Level 7

Thanks for your help with this.

I just tried that with a personal Intuit account for myself. I was sent a code and was able to reset my password.

However, the other day when my client had problems I also tried to reset the password for my personal Intuit account and it sent a code but nothing happened and it just asked for my password. No option to enter a new password. So I was in the same loop as my client and not able to reset the password. I couldn't believe Intuit didn't have an option to create a new password.

Maybe there was an Intuit system problem that day. 

BTW she tried to set up an Intuit account to use for Intuit Link and the response was that she already had an account and to enter her password. She didn't realize she had an account. She thought maybe it was from years ago when she used TurboTax but of course, wouldn't remember the password used back then. 

I sent her another invitation with your instructions. Hopefully, she isn't so frustrated that she will try again for future purposes.

SharonLee
Level 1

Husband doesn't have an e-mail address at home. Only the wife does have an e-mail address. Help fix this problem, please.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@SharonLee  We are not Intuit Support but peer users like you.  There's nothing we can fix but we volunteer here to share our experience.  If you can clarify what your problem is, we may be able to suggest something.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
EndUserEGB
Level 1

I am having the same problem. Years ago, I used my work email address with QuickBooks. Now that my tax professional is trying to switch all her clients to Intuit, the interface wants my same password from years ago. My account pre-dates the use of two-step verification, so the system wants to verify using my email and phone number, but I don't have a phone number saved with my account (and, even if I did, it probably wouldn't accept texting, so that might not solve the problem anyway). I have tried to engage customer service by following the "try another way" recovery prompt, but even a week later I have received no response (even though I have typed in my name and SS twice, which is always a little unnerving). My tax professional and I have resorted to using a new email address I created just for my taxes, which I will either have to forward to my regular email or remember to check on a regular basis throughout "tax season."

0 Cheers
Randal
Level 1

uit sent me a verification code via email and i entered that in and then i requested forgot my password and it only gave me two choices, a verification to a cell phone number i no longer use or try anothr shot at the password.

i guess 20 years into the 21st century i will go with paper?

0 Cheers
tekapacarving
Level 1

hi

I have had the same annoying experience, round in circles, email... code sent... and again.

0 Cheers
Summer2021
Level 4

Hi David, were you able to resolve your client's login problem? 

Now a year later, my client has the same problem.  He received the Intuit Link invitation.  However, he was unable to reset password.  He has the same problem as you described.  I contacted Intuit support but they were unable to help me.  

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

No, we haven't been able to resolve this issue. It is embarrassing when we convince clients to use our "secure portal" and then we can't help them because they have a TurboTax password from the 80's that they didn't realize they had and then Intuit doesn't give them an option to reset their password.

So, with egg on our face, we have to tell the client they have to go "old school" to send us their tax information.

This seems like such an easy fix for Intuit to help their customers. I know this has been a complaint for years. You would think this would be fixed by now.

Norman2001
Level 7

The same thing just happened to a client of mine. Probably a former client now. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Do you have any information on how your clients weren't able to reset their password? 

https://accounts.intuit.com/index.html 
Signing into the account here should get them logged in. Selecting "Try something else" will give users the option to recover their account. 

They must sign in with the email address associated with the Link. Once their logged in, they either need to change their Intuit Account email address to match the one you have or you'll have to uninvite the email you have for them and reinvite them with the email address they're using for their Intuit account. 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
Norman2001
Level 7

Here is the message my client sent me.

"It's just a stupid loop. It doesn't give me an option to change my phone number or password and without either one, I can't get in. If I try to make a new account, it says my email is taken. I went to the website and clicked on "Let's see if we can access your account for you, or something like that.  It asks for the last name, email, and SS #. Then it says it has no record of me. I give up. I hate technology." 

0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

My clients are experiencing the same loop that Norman described. Very frustrating.

All companies have a password reset option. It should be simple for Intuit to allow clients to reset their password and use the Link system they encourage us to us. It's very embarrassing to tell the client that our Intuit portal system doesn't work after we encouraged them to use it in our beginning of year tax letter.

Summer2021
Level 4

I tried every suggestion but none of it works.  I was unable to get a password reset email. 

So I contacted Intuit Support.  At the end, Ramiro at intuit Support had to send me a password reset email from his computer.   

Now my client is able to login and provide information through Intuit Link.

By the way I want to give Ramiro some credit as he was very professional and very friendly.

My Client is stuck in this loop right now.  Link log in screen will only give her the option to get a code texted to her and then that code ask for her password.  "forgot password" is not being offered to her.  I just tried with my personal link account and got the same results as my client.  This is very frustrating!!

Neatalia
Level 1

Ten months later and we have had over 20 clients call us with this same problem. Intuit needs to simply fix this issue and add a "Password Reset" button option that will allow the user to reset their own password without the hassle. This is not user friendly and it deters our older clients from using the simplicity of today's technology.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@david3 

I've been using Intuit Link for about 5 years. Works pretty well for about 85-90% of those who try to use it. I'm able to manage and integrate the Intuit Link client workflow with all the others.  BUT, like everything else 'Intuit', there are flaws and coulda woulda shoulda done it betters.... but for Intuit, I'd say good 'nuf

I wouldn't rely on IL as a file system. Nice that it retains data and returns by tax year but I won't rely on it. 

It's certainly better than sending password protected encypted pdfs

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround