Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repayment of RMD

NDom27
Level 2

How to reflect return of RMD? Entire RMD was returned to custodian, by check, however, Federal and state tax was withheld, as reflected on 1099-R.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The entire amount was paid back?  even the withholdings?  Or did they only return the amount of the check?

Scroll down to the Rollover section and input how much was actually returned.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
NDom27
Level 2

The entire amount was returned to the Brokerage.

So now I need to reflect the 1099-R showing the distribution, and the tax so that was withheld so that the client is refunded the withholding.  I have tried to use the rollover option, showing the amount in Partial, and as a complete rollover, but my IRA amount still shows as taxable on the 1040. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So if I fill out the 1099R and show the entire amount rolled over by clicking the box down in the 1099R worksheet Page 2 Line  B1   

I see the total amount on Line 4a of the 1040, but Line 4b is empty and the word Rollover appears next to the amount on Line 4a.  See screen shots below

Is this not happening for you?

1099rmdrolled2.png1099rmdrolled.png1099rmd.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
JEddy
Level 1

Thank you. After deleting the original 1099-R and re-entering, everything worked great!