Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental property switched to personal use

sheri414
Level 3

TP moved back into their rental property in 2019.  I marked the date of disposal in the asset screen.  I did not enter a sales price.  I have days rented and personal days used entered on the worksheet.  The rental loss is flowing through to the return, even though their income is too high to take a rental loss.  What am I missing to make this a suspended loss?  Interestingly, it's not taking all the suspended losses, indicating a complete disposition.  But the loss for the year is calculating and going to the 1040.  What am I missing?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldn't have any personal days UNLESS they used it for personal reasons while it was a rental.

If while it was a rental, they did not use it personally, youd have 0 personal days showing on the Sch E worksheet.

You dont enter personal days AFTER it converted to personal use.

Try changing personal use days to zero and see what happens.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldn't have any personal days UNLESS they used it for personal reasons while it was a rental.

If while it was a rental, they did not use it personally, youd have 0 personal days showing on the Sch E worksheet.

You dont enter personal days AFTER it converted to personal use.

Try changing personal use days to zero and see what happens.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sheri414
Level 3

You are the bomb!  I've been on the phone with Pro Series tech support for 40 minutes while they look at my sanitized file and try to figure it out.  That did it.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You’re going to have to suspend the depreciation of the assets. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
sheri414
Level 3

Entering the disposal date stops depreciation.  That wasn’t the issue.  I was trying to stop the suspended losses from being released.