Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal Proseries Basic August 29 - MA Sales tax free Day ERROR

swongtax
Level 4

Hi, if anyone out there in MA tried to purchase Proseries Basic on August 29, 2020 like I did, check your credit card receipt for the posting amount.  They erroneously added sales tax!!

Note:  August 29-30 2020 was a sales tax free weekend in MA!!!

Even though my printed receipt excluded the MA sales tax (which thank goodness I saved), the credit card posted an amount with sales tax added.  

Also, the immediate email confirmation I received on Aug 29 for my renewal order contained an error.  My email was dated 8/29/2020, but it says the Order date was 8/24/2020, and the Proseries added a sales tax amount to my order (even though the original receipt indicated Sales tax = 0).

It took me over 45 minutes on the phone to request the sales tax as a credit into my account.

They don't know what happened, and why it happened, but they couldn't even issue me a credit back to my credit card.

In 2019, I also ordered Proseries on a tax free weekend, and there were no issues.

**BUYER BEWARE!

Sui

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

Is there a way you can recoup that tax directly from MA?  Because Iowa passed a law last July that software was not taxable.  Intuit did not know this so I had to file a form with Iowa to recoup tax.  Sometimes Intuit does not keep up with individual state exemption weekends or tax law changes.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
taxiowa
Level 8
Level 8

Is there a way you can recoup that tax directly from MA?  Because Iowa passed a law last July that software was not taxable.  Intuit did not know this so I had to file a form with Iowa to recoup tax.  Sometimes Intuit does not keep up with individual state exemption weekends or tax law changes.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Ironic, isn't it?

Ex-AllStar