Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Partner (with consent) from LLC - can i simply write letter and notarize

Beanguin
Level 1

My ex-wife wants to be removed from out LLC. She had 1% ownership. My accountant suggested the easiest way is to simply write a letter transferring her 1% to someone else and having the letter notarized.  Will that work?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

22 Comments 22
abctax55
Level 15

That's a legal issue, and we are not attorneys.   We are tax professionals.  And we generally don't work for free anyway.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would check with your attorney rather than your accountant for that one ------------ unless your barber has a few minutes available for consultation.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15
Ask your attorney, or if that fails try a bartender or anonymous internet people.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Beanguin 

You seem to be Lost on the Interwebs. This is forum for how to use the Tax Preparation programs that your own CPA or other Tax Professional uses. Not for TurboTax, not for legal advice, not for accounting guidance.

Perhaps you want to ask the TurboTax forum, which has got some sort of business social networking component:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Turning Tables
Level 1

Be careful when you ask something in this pool of sharks.  

https://www.upcounsel.com/how-to-remove-member-from-llc

George4Tacks
Level 15

@Turning Tables wrote:

Welcome to our ocean! The sea may be a bit shallow for so many sharks, but we like it that way. 🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈

abctax55
Level 15

As I said, we aren't attorneys (aka sharks).  Woman Wink

I'm glad you were able to get FREE advice elsewhere, but remember that age-old caveat about getting what you pay for.  

( Generic Comment )"
Turning Tables
Level 1

We? the old grouches you mean.  LOL

IRonMaN
Level 15

This is the internet, I could be an attorney if I really wanted to be. Heck I could be president if I wanted to be.  On second thought, no I couldn't since I don't have a Twitter account. Smiley Sad

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Turning Tables wrote:

@Turning Tables wrote:

We? the old grouches you mean.  LOL

@Turning Tables Please refrain from calling names and be respectful to other participants, who happen not to be either old grouches or sharks but established professionals and long-time members of this forum who volunteer their time and have helped countless tax professionals over the years.

What they have stated are true:

• this forum is only for tax professionals (not consumer) questions;
  • what the OP has is fundamentally a legal question that should be answered by a competent legal professional (although there are tax implications that need to be addressed separately); and
  • everyone should be cautious about advice they receive from strangers and over the internet (unlike the general public, tax professionals are well aware of and equipped to manage the relevant due diligence requirements).

Non-tax professionals may not be happy with not getting the answer they hope for here but there are rules for participation and for good reasons.  Tax accountants are a boring bunch - we ask tons of questions before we would give clients any advice, often with caveats, because taxes are complicated and convuluted.

Maybe you would trust and be happy with a tax accountant who responds to a minimum information question with an answer that has just as few words.  But I would be cautious and even skeptical, knowing how taxes work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

"...but there are rules for participation"

That's news to me  Smiley LOL

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

To be labeled an old grouch isn't that terrible since I've been called worser names here  Although I believe the more politically correct terminology here would probably be "seasoned grouch". 

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

"...but there are rules for participation"

That's news to me  Smiley LOL

But we do, don't we?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

1) how do you do the "quote" thingy?

2) Yes, *we* have rules aka standards.  For which, we often get **bleep**ed out about Woman Very Happy

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

2) Yes, *we* have rules aka standards.  For which, we often get **bleep**ed out about Woman Very Happy

When you hit reply, there is a "quote box" next to the fonts and smiley faces, etc.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

@abctax55 wrote:

When you hit reply, there is a "quote box" next to the fonts and smiley faces, etc.

D'oh....  It's amazing what shows up when the eyes open up Smiley Embarassed 

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Good morning Smiley Happy

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Thanks... can you bring me some coffee too, black please?

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

And you can also edit out what you don't need from the quote thingy or add to it.  In case you feel adventurous, you can even manipulate the html codes by clicking on the HTML tab above.

What I still don't get is how @George4Tacks gets his nice emojis to show up here because the ones available here are very limited.

Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

I agree... I really liked the old emojis; they were prettier & more choices.

Does anyone watch James Corden?  He does a bit with the audience where he shows a string of emojis that describe a recent event in the news.  The audience member has to tell the story by interpreting the emojis.  Most of the time it's hysterical.

( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

@itonewbie said "@Turning Tables Please refrain from calling names and be respectful to other participants, who happen not to be either old grouches or sharks but established professionals and long-time members of this forum who volunteer their time and have helped countless tax professionals over the years."

I think @Turning Tables could be at least partially correct and would fit right into this forum. Some us to get a bit grouchy. Some us do hover over the forums like a shark in wait for prime question. It is difficult to determine the background of the one asking the question. Often the question is incomplete or has great inconsistencies. I used to play a game WFF 'N PROOF where WFF = Well Formed Formulas. Logical statements sometimes are not posted here.

This particular question says "My accountant suggested ..." which seems to shout I AM NOT A TAX PROFESSIONAL and that leads many us to be grouchy. 

@Turning Tables I hope to see more activity by you. This forum needs sharp minds. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"WFF 'N PROOF"

Me, too!

I knew I liked you 🙂

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers