Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected Return- I learned this thru the "Practitioners' Office of IRS. Do I correct the error and resubmit the return with or without a 1040X? Do I wait to receive written communication from IRS before I do anything?

moonpetty58
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If it was rejected, you need to find it or recreate it.  Then you need to fix the error that caused the rejection and resubmit the return.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You may need to elaborate a bit more....does the return show as Rejected  in the EFcenter?  or it it stuck in error processing within IRS somewhere? and what error would you correct?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

Yes please explain why did you call PPS -  was it because refund hadn't been issue?   And what reason did they give for return being "rejected"?

moonpetty58
Level 3

The return had been inadvertently deleted from my system file in error.  Was  not able to retrieve—according to queries.  Needed to  know where the return was.  The return has a balance due and client is anxious to pay and be done with it.

I am concerned because it has been my experience that if IRS rejects a return due to error, in time they will communicate with you. Suggestion? Wait or resubmit?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Can't you restore the client file from a backup?  Or recreate the return - match it with your printed/pdf copy, then retrieve the acknowledgement.    If it was rejected, correct the return and resubmit.   

Waiting until IRS sends you the client a letter will incur unnecessary penalties and interest on the balance due unless you have client pay with an extension while you wait for correspondence (that may never come).

IRonMaN
Level 15

If it was rejected, you need to find it or recreate it.  Then you need to fix the error that caused the rejection and resubmit the return.

Slava Ukraini!
moonpetty58
Level 3

I accept this solution.