Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected return because 19 year old filed as a non-filer to get stimulus check

skeramidas
Level 4

19 year old went to the website for stimulus check as a non-filer because she wanted the $1,200. Now her 2019 tax return was rejected because it says she filed already. Question: Do you think I can do an amended return to show her actual return (she's getting a refund) or will we have to mail it in and wait the six months to a year to get refund.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

Mail and wait ...........or...... wait until amendments can be efiled.   Either way - she's going to have to wait.       

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
dkh
Level 15

Mail and wait ...........or...... wait until amendments can be efiled.   Either way - she's going to have to wait.       

skeramidas
Level 4

I can't believe somebody thinks they are a non-filer just because they didn't file tax years 2018 and 2019, but they should have.

0 Cheers
Carlof
Level 1

You don't have to wait.  You will have to file a paper return since it is coming up as already e-filed.  The return you mail in as a paper return will be regarded as a "Precedent" return if filed before the tax filing date.  It will then be regarded as the final return and supersede the what was considered the e-filed return.

If you wait till after the due date, you will then need to file an amended return.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I'm betting the definition of non-filer never crossed your clients mind.  All he/she was concerned with was getting money into their hands as quick as possible.   

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

From the IRS:

Duplicate returns related to Economic Impact Payment (EIP): If a filer used the Non-Filers tool to register for EIP, they cannot file a subsequent tax return electronically.  They must complete a paper Tax Year 2019 Form(s) 1040/1040-SR, print and write “Amended EIP Return” at the top, and mail the return to the IRS.  The tax return must be mailed by the postponed due date of July 15, 2020 to avoid late-filing penalties and late fees.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/bulletins/29295df

dkh
Level 15

@Carlof   the "wait" is regarding the refund.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Your source for "wait the six months to a year to get refund" ?  I have some OCD clients whose anxiety relates to waiting 14 weeks for a refund, but let's not encourage panic attacks.  

What years will be accepted for e-filing of amended returns?  Was it only 2018 to start, or did it include 2019?  In any case, I don't think these will bypass the human review that mailed returns have always received.  

0 Cheers
gary1861
Level 4

Since all IRS employees were sent home in March (not all are back yet) and the mail since March is piled up in numerous trailers in the IRS parking lots and no one is working on them, I could see where it will take 6 -12 months assuming the virus goes away soon.  Otherwise, it could be a lot longer wait.  So don't sugar coat the wait time and set yourself up for numerous phone calls wanting to know where the refund is.  Actions have consequences.

BobKamman
Level 15

As reported July 1, for those who like to follow news and not rumors:

A few months into the IRS bringing employees back into offices across the country in a phased approach, Commissioner Charles Rettig said agency facilities will return to “full staffing” by July 15, and will prioritize tax return refunds and customer service through its call centers.

By that point, the IRS will reopen all of its processing and call centers, although Rettig said that it will require employees in some cases to work different shifts in order to meet social distancing requirements.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2020/07/irs-commissioner-expects-full-staffing-at-tax-proce...

skeramidas
Level 4

Thank you very much for the information. I must have missed that. Thanks again.

0 Cheers