Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REJECT CODE IND-996 3 DEP. HAVE IP PIN NO. ENTERED ON INFO. WRKSHT, HOWEVER IRS SAYS IT HAS TO APPEAR ON THE 1040, WHERE DOES IT COME THROUGH FROM THE INF. WORKSHEET?

Neum12345
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IND 996 is saying the IP PIN is invalid.  Youre using the IP PIN that was received in Jan 2020, right?  Make sure you have the right IP assigned to the right Dependent

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Neum12345
Level 1

I DID, THIS IS WHAT THE IRS SAYS:

: As of January 1, 2016, if you claim one or more dependents that have an IP PIN, you must enter their IP PIN on the following e-File tax forms:

• Form 1040, Individual Income Tax Return, series
  • Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses
  • Schedule Earned Income Credit

Your e-File return will be rejected if you fail to enter a dependent’s IP PIN.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Neum12345 wrote:

I DID, THIS IS WHAT THE IRS SAYS:

: As of January 1, 2016, if you claim one or more dependents that have an IP PIN, you must enter their IP PIN on the following e-File tax forms:

• Form 1040, Individual Income Tax Return, series
  • Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses
  • Schedule Earned Income Credit

Your e-File return will be rejected if you fail to enter a dependent’s IP PIN.

And your original question said you entered the IPPin on the dependent worksheet which should make it go where it needs to go.

:Re: REJECT CODE IND-996 3 DEP. HAVE IP PIN NO. ENTERED ON INFO. WRKSHT, HOWEVER IRS SAYS IT HAS TO APPEAR ON THE 1040, WHERE DOES IT COME THROUGH FROM THE INF. WORKSHEET?:

The 996 error means it Invalid...are you using the one issued in 2019 instead of the newly issued one in Jan 2020?

0 Cheers
karzak
Level 3

I received the same rejection code.  The taxpayer never applied or asked for an IP PIN for

their dependent, nor did they have a reason to. Does anyone know of a reason this rejection code would happen.  the dependent is her 79 year old mother.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
someone may have attempted ID theft and IRS issued a IPPIN for the mother. Heres your options to find it, or paper file.
https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

karzak
Level 3

Would an IP PIN be issued without notifying the person or without them asking?

0 Cheers
pmlovitz
Level 2

Hello,

I received this error message on both the parents return and the child's return.  I can clearly see where to enter on the child's return.  On the parents return where can I enter this number for the dependent child?  The child is like 21 and in college.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Its n the dependent entry table, right next to their age, look at the descriptions at the top of the table, you should see Dependent IPPIN for one of the boxes.