Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Rebate

Michael D
Level 3

Not sure this posted the first time as I received an error message.

I am starting to get rejections from the IRS and adjustment messages from Proseries regarding the recovery rebate for clients who were dependents on their parents return in 2019 and are now on their own claiming the $1800 recovery rebate which is being rejected. Their parents did not receive any stimulus money when they were their dependent as the parents income was over the threshold or the clients were 18 and older. Can anyone explain why this is happening? thanks in advance.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

That's a glitch that others have mentioned. That does not mean your already efiled return has been rejected.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
sjrcpa
Level 15

If they are eligible to be claimed as dependents on their parents' return, whether or not they were claimed as dependents, they are not eligible for the RRC on their own.

Could that be it?

(Although I don't know how IRS would know if they could be claimed as a dependent)

Ex-AllStar
Michael D
Level 3

they are 24 and 25 years old living on their own earning good salaries.

0 Cheers
meoleson
Level 5

Silly question but have you checked the box if they were claimed as a dependent on their parents return?

0 Cheers
Michael D
Level 3

I checked no for that 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Silly question but have you checked the box if they were claimed as a dependent on their parents return?"

The response is for if they can be claimed. Not if they Were claimed. It is not the same thing.

Only 2020 matters, now. Ignore 2019.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Could these 24 and 25 year olds have gone to the IRS website and filled out the "nonfiler" thing to get the EIP? That constituted filing a return. Now they would need an amended return.

What exactly does the reject message say?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Michael D
Level 3

"PROSRIES DETECTED THAT THE AMOUNTS IN THIS RETURN HAVE CHANGED SINCE IT WAS EFILED. PLEASE REVIEW THESE CHANGES TO SEE IF AN AMEDED RTURN NEEDS TO BE EIFILED"

When I display the changes, it is pulling the $1800 rebate out in an amended return view.

0 Cheers
Michael D
Level 3

SEE REJECT MSG BELOW WHERE I REPLIED TO THE OTHER POST.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa "(Although I don't know how IRS would know if they could be claimed as a dependent)"

Guilty until proven innocent.

“Let the jury consider their verdict,” the King said, for about the twentieth time that day.

“No, no!” said the Queen. “Sentence first—verdict afterwards.”

sjrcpa
Level 15

That's a glitch that others have mentioned. That does not mean your already efiled return has been rejected.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

See this topic for "changed return:"

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/proseries-2020-produce...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Michael D
Level 3

thank you!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
0 Cheers