Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Rebate Credit

GirgisTax
Level 1

Are Green Card holders living a broad eligible for Recovery Rebate Credit?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Assuming they have a Social Security card authorizing them to work.  Apparently, this can be issued at the same time as the green card, at least in recent years, but some people did not include the request with their visa application and were advised to go to a Social Security office.  They might not have thought it was important, or they might have already had an SSN, without employment allowed, before the green card was issued.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You might want to bookmark these links and read the IRS guidance:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-a-eip-eligibility

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#Eligibility

One for each EIP.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
GirgisTax
Level 1

Thank you. Where can I find details about it. To keep it for future reference. 

0 Cheers
GirgisTax
Level 1

Thank you, Yes, they have SS valid for work. The confusing part is they can be eligible for recovery rebate credit even though they live abroad not in US. ????? 

0 Cheers
GirgisTax
Level 1

Thank you for the link. I went through this link. However, I did not find anything relates to resident aliens (Green cards holders) living abroad. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You probably didn't find anything about American citizens with red hair, either.  If it doesn't make a difference, it's not worth a mention.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

US citizens living abroad qualify, too.

Ex-AllStar