Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECOVERY REBATE CREDIT FOR MIXED STATUS

gk
Level 5

Hi,

I have a client with mixed immigration status. He has SSN but spouse and 2 kids have ITIN. He did not get EIP1 and got only  $600 for EIP2. How should i reconcile his work sheet? How much he is eligible for EIP1 and EIP2.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you’re married and one spouse has an SSN and one spouse has an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Only the spouse with the SSN will receive the first and second stimulus check. The exception to this rule is if one of you is in the military, then you are both eligible for both stimulus checks, even if one of you has an ITIN and one of you has an SSN.

Previously, for the first stimulus check, both spouses needed to have SSNs. In a mixed status couple, the spouse with the SSN was only eligible if they filed separately (with an exception for people in the military)

The expanded SSN rules for the second stimulus check are retroactive and now apply to the first stimulus check. If you were denied your first stimulus payment because both you and your spouse did not have SSNs, you can claim your first stimulus check as the Recovery Rebate Tax Credit on your 2020 tax return. See the chart and examples below for further explanation of how this works.

See this link for the chart
https://www.eitcoutreach.org/blog/are-immigrants-eligible-for-the-stimulus-check/

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you’re married and one spouse has an SSN and one spouse has an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Only the spouse with the SSN will receive the first and second stimulus check. The exception to this rule is if one of you is in the military, then you are both eligible for both stimulus checks, even if one of you has an ITIN and one of you has an SSN.

Previously, for the first stimulus check, both spouses needed to have SSNs. In a mixed status couple, the spouse with the SSN was only eligible if they filed separately (with an exception for people in the military)

The expanded SSN rules for the second stimulus check are retroactive and now apply to the first stimulus check. If you were denied your first stimulus payment because both you and your spouse did not have SSNs, you can claim your first stimulus check as the Recovery Rebate Tax Credit on your 2020 tax return. See the chart and examples below for further explanation of how this works.

See this link for the chart
https://www.eitcoutreach.org/blog/are-immigrants-eligible-for-the-stimulus-check/

gk
Level 5

Thank you Lisa. I got all the answers. I thought ITIN dependents ( kids) are eligible in EIP2.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@Just-Lisa-Now- Its only January, and you are already yelling 😁. What will April bring, and I'm surprised that @IRonMaN  hasn't started a count on stimulus questions. I am also surprised at the number of questions from Pro's. I get so many questions from my clients that I need to keep up with the latest on stimulus, and I would think all Pros would know the questions being asked. Just my two cents. 😁  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Yea, the copy/paste from that website got a little loud! LOL

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, but all of the extra counters are being used as backups for the "when can we file" questions.  We have been burning through counters like cord wood this year.

Slava Ukraini!