Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I elect to itemize? Box bottom of Schedule A does not accept input.

gfrommeyer87
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

On part X of the federal information worksheet under standard deduction/itemized deduction  check the first box that says itemize even if itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction. 

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"Re: How do I elect to itemize? Box bottom of Schedule A does not accept input."

The program will default to whichever is higher, itemized or standard.   You cant just type a number at the bottom of Sch A, you need to fill out Sch A and it will put the total in the bottom box.

If you want to itemize even if the standard deduction is higher, I think theres a box to check somewhere on the Federal Information worksheet.   (Ive never had to check it, but I know Ive seen it)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
gfrommeyer87
Level 2

Yes I am aware of the default. I wish to optimize since the deductions are close enough that I will likely benefit more on the state return. The box is at the bottom of Schedule A input as I stated. It does not allow input. Does anyone have an answer to allow me to itemize?

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

On part X of the federal information worksheet under standard deduction/itemized deduction  check the first box that says itemize even if itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction. 

gfrommeyer87
Level 2

Maybe I need to be more specific. I have input all itemized deductions.  Georgia only allows standard of $3,000. Total itemized are very close to standard of $24,400. So by itemizing I will get the full 24,400 on Georgia. I want to override the default and there is a square box on the bottom of Schedule A that allows that. However, it does not allow input. I right clicked for the "about" menu but it was a full Schedule A help and did not address the square box.  Nor does double click work. Obviously there is another box someplace on the return but I can't find it. Georgia will only allow itemized if you also itemize on Federal.

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

You need to check the box on the federal information worksheet and not directly on Schedule A.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

In memory of Garrett Morris of SNL fame:

You need to check the box on the federal information worksheet and not directly on Schedule A !!

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers