Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ransomware attached to update files

Jeff Berk
Level 1

I have Acronis software on my computer and downloading today's update (1/19/21) Acronis stopped the install, reporting possible ransomware.  It showed a list of 232 files that were affected. 

Any experience with this?  I didn't stop my antivirus software and never have.  This is the first time getting result.

Jeff Berk 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Other folks over the years have said their downloads have turned up potentially malicious software.  However, I'm not aware of anything malicious actually being confirmed.  That is as long as you aren't one of the many users that consider Intuit itself kinda nasty. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I didn't stop my antivirus software and never have"

There is a difference between internet and web. Software with an internal update function is accessing the company servers over your internet connection to get the files and the server (barring huge hacks) are secured. That means they never (or, nearly never) contain virus code.

Getting something from a website means that website could have been hacked and replaced and be waiting for you to download the new, "improved" version, or could be a phony website entirely.

You don't typically worry about server-based updates.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

However, I'm not aware of anything malicious actually being confirmed.  That is as long as you aren't one of the many users that consider Intuit itself kinda nasty. 😁

We are downloading something that will cause many hours of frustration while on our computers.  That definitely sounds like Malware to me.   

TaxGuyBill_0-1611094657883.png

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Interesting. Can you provide an example of a specific file that was flagged by Acronis?

And what Acronis product are you using? I'd expect it's a false positive, but for something like that I'd want to quadruple check.