Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified Disaster Distribution Worksheet

RichardS77
Level 4

A distribution from  a qualified retirement plan due to the coronavirus pandemic is exempt form the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  Plus I thought  the taxpayer could  spread the tax effect over 5 years.  What if the taxpayer wants to pay  all the taxes in the current year on that distribution?  How is that entered in ProSeries?

Thanks in advance for you help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@RichardS77 wrote:

A distribution from  a qualified retirement plan due to the coronavirus pandemic is exempt form the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  Plus I thought  the taxpayer could  spread the tax effect over 5 years.  What if the taxpayer wants to pay  all the taxes in the current year on that distribution?  How is that entered in ProSeries?

On the 1099R worksheet, scroll down to the disaster section and mark the Covid boxes, that will auto populate the 8915E.   

If you want to pay tax on the entire amount on the 2020 return, rather than spread over 3 years (5 years is NOT an option), then you check the box on Line 5 of the 8915E.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@RichardS77 wrote:

On the 1099R worksheet, scroll down to the disaster section and mark the Covid boxes, that will auto populate the 8915E.   

If you want to pay tax on the entire amount on the 2020 return, rather than spread over 3 years (5 years is NOT an option), then you check the box on Line 5 of the 8915E.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
RichardS77
Level 4

Great thank you!

0 Cheers