Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBID not calculating

jpmh
Level 3

I have a Schedule C profit that qualifies for QBID.

The Schedule C populates the QBI component worksheet properly. But that worksheet does not seem to populate the Form 8995 properly

The EIN shows up in Column (b), but Business name column (a) is blank and the QBI column (c) is also blank

Form 8995 being fed properly from Schedule E output in same return.

Any guidance available?  Thanks

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpmh
Level 3

I found the problem:

I noticed there were 3 error notices for the Form 8995. When I clicked on the indicator to take me to the error, it landed on the middle line entry of Form 8995 line 1 ii (a). That cell was blank and no error message presented. It was not set for "override".  

On a whim I clicked "Delete line in Table".  That was it. The business name appeared on  the line above the one I deleted and the proper QBI showed up in Col (c)

That's all I know.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

Have you checked the yes box at top of Sch C that says qualifies for 199A?

jpmh
Level 3

It is checked.

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

Additional information........

Both the Schedule E and Schedule C QBI detail show up on line 1 of the Qualified Business Deduction Summary page.

Line 2 shows the combined QBI amount as expected.

But then Line 7 pulls the deduction calculation from Form 8995 - which as state earlier doesn't have the full detail of the Schedule C item - only the EIN shows up.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Look at the QBI Deduction Smart Worksheet within Sched C    is there something strange going on there?

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

Everything looks normal...In fact, exactly like the 2019 entries (except the dollar amounts)

I'm going to completely delete and renter the Sc.D. C to see what happens.

Will report back....Thanks for your suggestions so far...

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

OK - Now I'm really getting confused.

I deleted the original Sch C and re-entered all the data. Same thing happened as noted above.

Just to see what would happen I entered a second Sch C identical to the first in every way - except with a slight difference in business name so I could tell the difference. . So now there are 2 identical Sch C. forms in the return.

Form 8995 captures the proper detail for the 2nd Sch C , but continues to only capture the EIN for the first Sch C.

So I deleted the 1st Sch C. thinking I can at least move on with this return.....But now the Form 8995 went back to only reporting the EIN of the remaining Sch C. This is one that that was correctly transferred to 8995 when both Sch Cs were in place. 

I am completely at a loss on how to continue.

0 Cheers
jpmh
Level 3

I found the problem:

I noticed there were 3 error notices for the Form 8995. When I clicked on the indicator to take me to the error, it landed on the middle line entry of Form 8995 line 1 ii (a). That cell was blank and no error message presented. It was not set for "override".  

On a whim I clicked "Delete line in Table".  That was it. The business name appeared on  the line above the one I deleted and the proper QBI showed up in Col (c)

That's all I know.