Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries won't let me choose tuition deduction for 2020 tax year.

Ok, here is my issue.  Proseries says my client qualifies for the tuition deduction but when I go to manual selection on the Education Costs the box is all white and it won't check.  I used the override feature and form 8917 shows the deduction at $4000.  This saves my client quite a bit in taxes.  I did some research and I am not sure why this is happening.  Any suggestions?  I just want to make sure I am not forcing something that shouldn't be done in case I missed a change or something in my update seminars. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK everyone.  I figured out what to do.  On the Taxpayer Student Info worksheet if you scroll down to part VII there is a box you can check that says elect the tuition and fees deduction.  I did it and it worked on the manual.  Thank you all for your suggestions! 

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
TAXOH
Level 11

Get rid of the override and go to the Education Tuition and Fees Summary and in Part II put a check in the box to Launch Optimizer.

I did that but it chose the LTL credit.  (he is a graduate student).  When I forced the tuition deduction he not only saves tax in Federal, but also the State.  I have done this in the past and choose the one that saves the most overall but even though it says he qualifies for the tuition deduction, it will not let me choose that box.  hmmmm.....

0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

Check the Student Info worksheet and see if there is a reason they are giving it them. 

Dusty Ernie

Did that Dusty Ernie.  It has nothing on the line and the yes box is checked saying it qualifies.  It is so very strange. 

0 Cheers

OK everyone.  I figured out what to do.  On the Taxpayer Student Info worksheet if you scroll down to part VII there is a box you can check that says elect the tuition and fees deduction.  I did it and it worked on the manual.  Thank you all for your suggestions! 

lrhenry04
Level 3

Thanks for the post! I would never have thought of scrolling down that far.

Yushan
Level 2

Hi,

You client's son is "graduate" student. when you answer question 2 in Student Information Worksheet, which one you check? College (Postsecondary)?  Apprenticeship (Qualified Tuition Program )? or Not applicable? 

I choose " Not applicable ", but it shows me that I can't apply for any credit or expense.

0 Cheers

Yushan, you choose college (postsecondary).  Then when you go to the 1098-T the box for Graduate student should be checked if it is checked on the form. 

Scroll thorough these responses.  I posted one that is the solution on 2/3.  It starts out with "OK everyone, I figured out what to do."  that will tell you how to get around it.

0 Cheers
Yushan
Level 2

Thanks a lot!!

0 Cheers