Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries vs ProConnect Tax

KDK
Level 1

We have been using ProSeries (professional-network version) for many years. Thinking about moving our office structure to virtual. Are we better staying with ProSeries and go to hosting in the cloud, or switching to ProConnect Tax? Very reluctant to switch, but want to do what works best for us.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

22 Comments 22
taxes96786
Level 9

I won't use cloud software due to not trusting that it won't be hacked. I don't want my client information anywhere on the internet.  Personal choice.

sjrcpa
Level 15

They are very different software. ProConnect is based on Lacerte.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Someone asked the same question in the FB group recently.  Not sure if it's you but I'll repeat what I said there in case it helps anyone.

The biggest difference would be adjusting to an input-sheet-driven program since ProSeries is largely form-based. ProConnect Tax is a very capable tax software since it is drive by Lacerte's engine. However, it lags far behind both ProSeries and Lacerte when it comes to features. So, don't expect database functionality or even return packaging you take for granted in ProSeries.

For me, having Lacerte under the hood is a big plus because being able to handle international and complex returns is important to us. Having it in the cloud without needing to worry about data loss and knowing data security is taken care of is icing on the cake. I have seen some complaints about speed but we are based overseas and (touch wood) never had a problem with the program's responsiveness.

The biggest pain points for us are as follows:
  • Lack of online review functions;
  • Only basic return printing function without packaging options (which require costly manual processing offline); and
  • Inability to lock returns once complete.
For those who have larger teams, the lack of dynamic access control in ProConnect Tax may be a challenge.

Two more points, which are VERY important. ProConnect Tax doesn't offer proforma organizers. We've learned to live with it and use our own electronic organizers without proforma data but it's definitely less than ideal. If they would offer a way to export and bridge the data, we'd be happy to build our own. Also, if you ever switch tax software, there's no guarantee that you will be able to export the data for conversion because it's not part of the built-in functionality or T&C. Under Boris Shmukler, the Product Manager, he had offered to export data manually on an ad-hoc basis but who knows what tomorrow would bring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Data security is probably the least of your worries when it comes to Intuit.  Unless your practice devotes the same level of technical and financial resources as Intuit to protecting the business franchise, Intuit's IT system should be more secure than those of most small to mid-size practitioners', IMHO.  Don't forget that Intuit is also subject to IRS oversight.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/tax-online/faqs/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

And of course... another critical factor is that you are at the mercy of internet connectivity and the availability of Intuit's servers.  If you have a desktop software, you can still work on returns when the internet or Intuit's servers are down.  With cloud-based software, all you can do is twiddle your thumbs - hoping against hope that it will come back on soon.

Still an AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

IRS oversite will not prevent my clients info from being hacked....I won't save files anywhere other than my own harddrive and USB external drive.

itonewbie
Level 15

@taxes96786May be you won't.  That's your prerogative.  But you missed my points about Intuit's infrastructure for IT security and interest in self-preservation.

Still an AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

Where there's a will there's a way. You can't have a 100% guarantee from hackers.  The larger the

business the more likely they will be targeted, especially with the id info available on tax returns.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Nothing is 100% guaranteed.  Neither can you exclude the possibility of your data on your network or devices being hacked.  But the resources and expertise devoted to IT security do greatly reduce the chance of hacking being successful.  I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other.

Still an AllStar
jwellscfo
Level 1

How are those files getting onto your hard drive? And do you e-file?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@jwellscfo Who are you asking this question of? ProConnect Tax is online only. The only thing you can get to your hard drive is a copy of the pdf file that is printed. The majority of files would be e-filed, but they can also be printed and mailed. You can try out the program for FREE, as long as you do not try to e-file of print. You can "Check Return" and see all the forms for free. Just click the ORANGE Try it Free box at https://proconnect.intuit.com/tax-online/ and use your current name & password to give it a whirl. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
klimli
Level 3

But then even if you used ProSeries, you wouldn't be able to e-file since those returns go to Intuit before going to Fed and State(s).

Yes, you could print, but you'd still have to authorize the return online with Intuit which again could be compromised if Pro Connect was down (or hacked)

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Actually, no I didn't miss anything. I am just of the opinion that hackers are more likely to go after large corporations rather than small practitioner companies.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Laura, Jensen's post was well over a year ago. Let it go.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
klimli
Level 3

Intuit Pro Series does send taxes to Intuit then the IRS and once accepted to State agencies if in 43 states.

Wanting to not use the cloud for security is akin to not letting the tax files go to Intuit in the first place.

Either way, hackers would have to infiltrate Intuit for either Proconnect or Pro Series in the same way, so your prerogative to remain on Pro Series is somewhat flawed.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@klimli wrote:

Intuit Pro Series does send taxes to Intuit then the IRS and once accepted to State agencies if in 43 states.

Wanting to not use the cloud for security is akin to not letting the tax files go to Intuit in the first place.

Either way, hackers would have to infiltrate Intuit for either Proconnect or Pro Series in the same way, so your prerogative to remain on Pro Series is somewhat flawed.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the the other, but as far as I remember, an e-filed return passes through Intuit for a very short time, but minimal information is permanently stored at Intuit.   That is very different than a cloud-based software where ALL of the information is there 24/7.

shomotax
Level 1

Proconnect all the way!!

0 Cheers
Ran
Level 1

I started doing taxes with forms and carbon paper. ProSeries was the way to go when I first converted to  electronic return preparation. I know the form and where the information needs to be. I can look at a return and see if something is not populating correctly. So, with this I found ProSeries a really good system. 

My big things was I did not want to use the services ProSeries wants you to go. to I have my own cloud service which works extremally well for me. So this year I had a deal come my way where I could have used either program. So I decided to try out ProConnect online. 

With ProConnect online you can do a tax returns faster. However, the system leaves a very lot of information to you wondering. ProConnect when you are doing the data entry figure out certain thing for you. So yes it does cut way down on the data entry. But what if you want to be outside the norm, this is where ProSeries shines. it makes it easier to move outside the box.  

So being a very long time forms person, ProConnect is not for me and will NEVER get into ProConnect again. I have been around many people and they all love ProConnect. Speed is fast in ProConnect and To understand and know what exactly is going to populate your clients return. Teaching a Jounior preparer and to have them understand where and what is populating, ProSeries is the best option. 

Now, if price is your concern, pay per form is great for both, but I do think ProSeries is the way to go. 

My vote is for PROSERIES all the way. No question. I will not ever use ProConnect gain even if I get this deal. I would much rather pay for ProSeries. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

No matter what program you use they have all had their problems this year.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

Other preparers may want to see the pros and cons. If you don't then bypass the postings.

PayneCPA
Level 1

Is your computer or server connected to the Internet at any point in time? Of course it is, how would you receive email or communicate with clients, unless you are using carrier pigeons.  You are a prime target for hackers. You think you are not a target, and that your files are not at risk because they are on your own hardware. No offense, but you are so very uninformed. Intuit and all these large companies have a better security policy than you do, I promise you. Why? Because they have a team of people who all they do is internet security. You think your files are safe because they're on your own devices. I hope you have good data breach insurance...

Jrtexas1955
Level 1

Agree with PayneCPA

0 Cheers