Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries not allowing draft/non-final forms to print.

goofball
Level 3

Proseries has stated they will not allow pringing of draft/non-final forms in order to comply with state agencies.  However, I am talking to other CPA's and multiple other software will, including Drake.  I am in Ohio and was told today that the expected release date will be February 11.  I am sorry but my office had over 400 returns completed and reviewed by the February 11th last year.  How is it that Proseries has to do this to be in compliance, but other companies do not.  Something does not add up here, and Proseries is hurting its own customer base with this decision.   

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

24 Comments 24
abctax55
Level 15

"How is it that Proseries has to do this to be in compliance.."

Because Intuit is incredibly arrogant?

If what you say is true, then we should most definitely get out the pitchforks & storm the castle.

It's not a major inconvenience for me, but is irritating.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

It's all just a crock of you know what.  Ironically, Drake has different things that they claim are "required" by the security summit/states.  Drake uses the "lowest common denominator" state.  So if I open a new 2020 return for a client who filed a 2019 return in MD then the software forces me to verify the SSN on the federal return.  But not if I open a 2020 return for someone in VA.  For VA, however, I'm not required to verify the locality code in Drake, Drake pulls this from a database based on the address on the federal return.  But ProSeries requires me to enter the VA locality code from scratch every year because "VA makes them do that."

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Intuit has a history of blaming the IRS or other agencies when it is actually a decision made from Intuit, rather than the government. 

Whether or not that is true in this case, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

TAXOH
Level 11

I'm in Ohio also and I know what you mean.  We can't print and give the clients a copy to review until after February 11th.  This hurts cash flow and will be very time consuming printing hundreds of returns in a day or two and getting a hold of all those clients then.

abctax55
Level 15

"...when it is actually a decision made from Intuit, rather than the government. "

THAT fact bothers me the most; I just hate being treated as if I'm stupid/gullible/willing to drink their Kool-aid .... wait, since I'm still using Intuit products perhaps I am 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

A couple of years ago the reason for not printing forms still in draft/unapproved form was that too many stupid people were sending them in to the tax authorities.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on the fact that for years Intuit has said their way was required, how come nobody from Drake is sitting in prison?  If nothing else, I'm sure it would have made the news if Drake had to pay $6.666 bazillion in penalties for breaking the rules.

Slava Ukraini!
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

100% - agreed. hurts cash flow on my end when I have dozens and dozens of returns done and a pile of invoices I can't send out until the forms are finalized. EVERY YEAR it's the same thing. Intuit dragging their feet. The Illinois S Corp payment voucher was online at the IDOR website for TWO WEEKS before Intuit released the final version. And there were literally no changes to the form. 

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Ha ha - agreed. Maybe we could authorize ourselves as the "smart" ones and get an early release of the final version of the tax forms so that we can get our invoices out the door.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe Intuit should change their payment requirements.  They get paid half of the invoice amount when you first download the software and the second half is paid once your primary state has printable forms available.

Slava Ukraini!
TAXOH
Level 11

Or maybe Intuit doesn't get paid until their forms are final since that's when we can actually give our clients a return and that's when we get paid.

abctax55
Level 15

Care to weigh in? 

@IntuitAustin 

@IntuitBettyJo 

( Generic Comment )"
dascpa
Level 11

What I take from the initial post is that by Feb 11th you had 400 completed tax returns.  Considering my clients don't get their 1099's from investment houses until mid February and then get corrected 1099's, and then corrected-corrected 1099's and finally like high school children have to be dragged and forced to finish by my deadline I am thoroughly impressed.  

And by the way to answer your question - as been posted many times - because we're too old and tired to change software and deal with the hassle of it so we keep paying outrageous sums to Intuit for a mediocre product.

And Intuit wouldn't let me log in last week as I don't have an account with them. 25 years of Quicken, QuickBooks, ProSeries, Intuit Accountant Payroll and I don't have an account???

goofball
Level 3

The bottom line is how do we get this changed.  This is burying us.  We do not have time to come back after February 11th, and do work that would have been completed by then.  Additionally, we can feed our customers the BS stories all we want.  Our competitors are handing out these returns, that Proseries says the agencies will not allow them to print.  This is hurting our work loads and are customers are not buying it.  They need to flip the switch and let us print.  

goofball
Level 3

Yes, you are correct.  It is our fault for still being here.  Drake says they can have me up and going in a day.  I do not want to go through a conversion in the middle of tax season, but that would be a better use of my staff's time than trying to explain why our software will not let us complete returns that our competitors can.  All these early easy returns can be done and out the door before February 11th with that decision.  I can always continue with Proseries with more complex returns rather than convert depreciation schedules, and Drake is immensely cheaper.  More importantly according to my peers that use it, you actually can get someone on the phone and resolve issues.  Wouldn't than be nice.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@abctax55 

Just checking the "@" thingy.  I'm guessing it isn't working since we never heard back from either of our friends at Intuit.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

@abctax55 

Just checking the "@" thingy.  I'm guessing it isn't working since we never heard back from either of our friends at Intuit.

LOL.

Even though it is not his department at all, I suspect Orlando would be more helpful at finding out the answer.

abctax55
Level 15

Once again, the silence from the Intuit folks is deafening.  

They must subscribe to the "silence is golden" theory when it comes to keeping their customers happy and/or informed.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

You mean @Orlando  don't you?

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Orlando has my vote to make the next "Person of the Year" cover on Time magazine.  He has been awesome this year.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

It's a holiday today, they're all off watching Groundhog Day.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thanks! I appreciate the acknowledgement, and just want to call out there are a lot of folks behind the scenes doing their best.  On this subject I chimed in on the other thread in terms of what I have been told, double checked and escalated.   So far I don't have anything new to add that hasn't already been said in the past. However that escalation process is working its way through the system and will hopefully result in a more satisfactory outcome.

TAXOH
Level 11

Thanks for getting involved Orlando.

goofball
Level 3

Bottom line is if I do not take care of my clients they leave.  If Proseries is the reason, I can not take care of my clients, and they are creating a lot of additional work for me, then I also need to leave.  This is a proseries decision not to allow us to do our jobs and hurting our businesses, quit blaming it on the agencies.  Other tax software is not doing this.