Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries Basic states that 2020 MN forms are not available

Cooper2
Level 1

I am trying to do a 2020 MN tax return and finding that when I try to upload the forms they are not available. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

MN forms are available.  What do you mean by "upload the forms"?

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As a completely unrelated side note, I noticed an interesting thing today in ProSeries on Form M1ED.  I rarely need it, so I'm surprised I noticed.

The ProSeries screen say to ATTACH the receipts, versus prior years' forms say you need to HAVE the receipts (in case the state asks for them).  I wasn't able to find the 2020 version of the form on the MN Revenue site, so I'm unsure if that is an actual change or if it is just a ProSeries text error.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Oh, I just found it.  The actual form DOES now say to "attach" the receipts on Line 9 (but the instructions don't really mention that).

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/2020-12/m1ed_20.pdf

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On another completely unrelated note (sorry for taking over your post), I don't understand Line 9 of the M1NC.  Is that outdated or am I misreading it?  It seems to say to subtract PPP expenses, which seems to be double-deducting expenses.  Or am I just not thinking it through?

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/2020-12/m1nc_20.pdf

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill  - form M1NC is a plus or minus thing, so they want you to add back the forgiveness.  As a side note, I received an e-mail this afternoon from our state society telling us to contact your local representative to encourage them to make the state law match the federal law on PPP.

As far as attaching slips go ------------------ I'll pretend I didn't see that ----------------- CAGMC.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Okay, so it is asking us to ADD the forgiveness there?  That makes sense.

The Instructions for that line messed me up.  I thought it was saying we need to enter a SUBRACTION for the PPP expenses, which didn't make any sense at all to me.  But I still don't quite understand what the Instructions are trying to say.  For Federal purposes, the expenses are deductible regardless if the loan is forgiven or not.

If you excluded loan forgiveness from your income under the Paycheck Protection Program on your federal return, subtract the expenses that would have been deductible if you had not received the loan forgiveness from the amount of the loan that was forgiven.

IRonMaN
Level 15

See there you go getting yourself confused by reading instructions ————- I try to avoid those things whenever possible 😜

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers