Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries Basic needs form 1099-NEC

TNT1
Level 3

The Pro product has 1099-NEC currently but the Basic product does not have it listed. 

Please don't forget to add it to the 'Where do I Enter?' option.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

14 Comments 14
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im sure they'll get it included at some point, but you really dont need it, just enter their income in on Sch C, yout don't need to enter the actual 1099.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Randy Haynes
Level 4

The only problem with not including the 1099-NEC and just adding that income on the Schedule C is that you now risk getting a letter from the IRS asking you to explain the lack of it based on their document matching. Your total income may be correct, but they do not know that.

0 Cheers
TNT1
Level 3

I keep waiting to see each release if the form has been added, but so far, it has not.

Please add the form. You removed line 7 on form 1099-MISC which was the line used for non employee compensation. But now for this year the IRS has stated that employers should use 1099-NEC and have remove the line from 1099-MISC. 

I don't know why this is so hard. the form (1099-NEC) has been added to professional but NOT Basic.

Please add it!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Randy Haynes wrote:

The only problem with not including the 1099-NEC and just adding that income on the Schedule C is that you now risk getting a letter from the IRS asking you to explain the lack of it based on their document matching. Your total income may be correct, but they do not know that.

I have never once, in over 25 years, filled out a 1099MISC worksheet for Sch C income.  I always put the total business income on Line 1 of the Sch C.  As long as your total income equals or exceeds what's been reported to IRS in 1099s, no IRS letter would be generated.

0 Cheers
Randy Haynes
Level 4

If you go to the left and look under "Common Forms" you will find the "1099-NEC Wks" It does not show up on "Where Do I Enter" but it is in the program.

For my clients who received a 1099-MISC in 2019 with Non-Employee Compensation listed in Box 7, the 1099-NEC is being automatically pulled into the return waiting for dollar figures to be entered.

0 Cheers
Randy Haynes
Level 4

I have not had that same experience. I have had several clients over the years who have received letters from the IRS asking for clarification on the Schedule C income, even though the income listed was greater than the 1099-MISC income.

0 Cheers
TNT1
Level 3

I believe you are using ProSeries Professional. That version of the software has it included. But their Basic version (what i have been using) does NOT have it available.

I'm requesting that they add this form to the Basic version because I know my clients will come to me this year and have that form for me to enter.

I would think it's a simple request. So just add it!

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi, in Proseries Basic, go to Forms, Find Forms and look for 1099 NEC and you will be able to work on it. But you are right they have not added to the Where do I enter option. But they also fixed on the Schedule C, Now it says NEC or 1099. Little by little. Do not worry. But I was just like you are. Hope this helps. Have a great day

0 Cheers
TNT1
Level 3

Thank you for this information.

I find that doing a search doesn't actually find the correct form but goes instead to 1099-A, but in the first section (bar moved all the way to the left) that 1099-NEC is listed on the last column.

At least it's a way to find the form... now if they would just add on the 'Income Checklist' tab under 1099-MISC that would be perfect.

Thank you again for sharing.

0 Cheers
PMpseries
Level 1

Find form 1040C go to part one, drill into item 1b quick zoom and the form 1099-NEC form will be available for entry.  Good luck.

0 Cheers
morgantax
Level 1

Hey. I know it's been a few weeks, but I was able to find it on the Schedule C, next to question 1b. There will be a 

• Quickzoom to Form 1099-NEC

There you will be able to click and launch the form. 

0 Cheers
RayNyc
Level 2

Hi Champ. A colleague in our office filed a client with only a 1099-NEC and a minor child under "Other Income", but now NY State wants to see documents supporting deductions, even though there was none, except for an amount that pertains to deductible SE Tax+Medicare Tax...Can you please help, what does she need to do or ask the State about? Thank you

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
A 1099NEC is issued for self employment income, but it sounds like you reported it as Other Income? But Other Income wouldnt have any deductions. Maybe NY is looking for the income in the wrong place?

Im not familiar with NY returns, Im out here in CA, so Im not sure how that works for them.

0 Cheers
RayNyc
Level 2

Thank you Lisa

0 Cheers