Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries 2020 install stops due to a celfsharp.browsersubprocess

jhartwv
Level 3

My Virus software is stopping my Proseries 2020 from fully installing do to a 'cefsharp.browsersubprocess.exe, which my virus software is stating has a 'trojan' in it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've never had a problem installing before so this does raise concerns.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
puravidapto
Level 7

Wrong board. This is a ProConnect Tax Discussions forum.

--
Click this link to vote. Like many good things in life, we have to fight for them.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I moved it to the right place, thanks.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Thats not a ProSeries file, it on your compuer already somewhere, the system may be accessing its location during install.   This explains where it might reside, you may want to restart your computer in SafeMode and see if you can find and delete that file.

https://www.file.net/process/cefsharp.browsersubprocess.exe.html

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

What Virus software are you using? And is it blocking installation or preventing ProSeries from running? 

This happens occasionally.  The ProSeries application comes with dozens of third party libraries and processes it uses to do stuff, like print to PDF or display web pages. In this case CefSharp is a a desktop component we include in our 32bit installation directory. It is basically a small version of Chromium, the technology from Google that powers Chrome & Edge. CefSharp itself is a bunch of different files, one of which is that "Cefsharp.BrowserSubProcess.exe".   I think to fix this you should be able to open up your anti-virus software and grant an exception to the CefSharp.Browser.SubProcess.exe file in our ProSeries Installation Directory (in the 32Bit directory). But, to fix it for everyone, we'll probably need to contact the Anti-Virus vendor and get them to whitelist us / the version of CefSharp we're using.

SL
Level 3

Good morning, Steve here,.. My firewall is also not allowing install of 2020 proseries to complete based on cefsharp.browsersubprocess.exe file being identified as the culprit.  What did you do to resolve the issue?  is their malware associated with this file that intuit is providing us as part of download?  I have been using proseries for many years and have not encountered similar problems in the past.

steve

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"is their malware associated with this file that intuit is providing us as part of download?"

It seems to be the other way around. You are being asked to provide info for which virus protection program you use, so that Orlando can contact that manufacturer to get a virus list update which will exclude the problem file for you.

@jhartwv 

@SL 

It would help if you provide answers to:

What Virus software are you using? And is it blocking installation or preventing ProSeries from running?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Tom203
Level 1

I'm having this exact issue when I installed updates.  I'm using Avast Premium Security.  Avast gave the option of creating an exception to allow this file but it just runs trying to create the exception.

0 Cheers
AGB
Level 2

The CefSharp.BrowserSubprocessor is causing my computer to lock up.  When going into Task Manager I am unable to stop this task. The file is know to cause problems and Intuit still program.  It needs to be removed ASAP..

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Please see my response above for what CefSharp is and why we use it. The current alternative is an old Internet Explorer based browser component, but we see more problems with it.  From what I understand Microsoft is coming out with a new alternative we should be able to use for next year that will hopefully be way better than either of those.

In the meantime, we're happy to troubleshoot any issues people are running into. Yours is the first I've heard of concerns with CefSharp locking the system... I'm wondering if something else is going on.  

Can you

- Open ProSeries

- Choose Help -> Send Logs

- Email the zip it generates to proseries_engineering@intuit.com

0 Cheers
BFS
Level 1

This topic is so irritating to me - The issue: started the day off filing returns completed but had to update Proseries.  In the process, my virus protection quarantines the file Cefsharp.browsersubprocess.exe.  In the new world where accountants are getting pinged 3 to 5 days a week - sometimes more by phishing, hacking attempts and general scams and our trusted tax program sends us non-essential files that are known to cause false positives in anti-virus.  After reading these posts, I decided to call.  Much to my dismay, the CS rep read to me Orlando's post on this thread.  This was so ridiculous because my question was what is the file used for and is it essential.  Oh yes, it is and I should contact my Anti-virus company to have the junk they are pushing out whitelisted.  I should should do this?  Seriously?  My opinion differs.  I think the lazy  programmers should call the top 30 anti-virus vendors and do this.  Since the CS person could not tell me if ProSeries needed this file to function properly, I took more of my valuable time to research this further.  ProSeries uses this file in there Tool Hub - (here is a link to how Intuit is telling you how to uninstall this NON ESSENTIAL add on program:  https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/ProSeries-Tools-Hub-528b04d585bab1a1dbc28ec53be44b55-application...

I think they way Intuit is handling this situation really speaks to their lack of competence and integrity.  I guess after 15 years of being a loyal ProSeries customer, this situation has pushed me to the  plateau.  For the price I pay for this service, I deserve, expect and demand better programming updates, customer service and competent answers that were based on internal company knowledge  - not someone reading a blog that I already read.  

I wondered if ATX, Thomson Reuters, CCH and Drake are pushing out files in their updates with false positives of a malicious viruses - So I called my CPA friends who are using these programs - They are all laughing at us - or should I say, they are laughing at you Intuit.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"ProSeries uses this file in there Tool Hub - (here is a link to how Intuit is telling you how to uninstall this NON ESSENTIAL add on program"

it's important to know when a program access the web through an internal browser function, such as you might have come to this forum through a ProSeries function that is part of the Help system. However, many of us use this community through our own web browser directly.

And that's important because you never know, from the Web, when your system is at risk from a hack attempt.

Let's take this, for instance:"Since the CS person could not tell me if ProSeries needed this file to function properly, I took more of my valuable time to research this further. ProSeries uses this file in there Tool Hub - (here is a link to how Intuit is telling you how to uninstall this NON ESSENTIAL add on program:"

Let's examine the part I highlighted, by using a "whois" search on that website you linked.

It doesn't seem to be Intuit at all. It is registered in RO:

Registrant Contact
Organization: Innovative Solutions GRUP

"ro is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Romania."

So, you risk downloading a removal tool that is corrupt or a bad actor.

Sorry; just thought you should understand this a bit more.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Cefsharp is basically a stripped down version of Chromium. It is used to host a number of our web based experiences that require deep integration with the application: Login, eSignature,  Financial Data Import, Online Help, etc.  The ProSeries Tools Hub uses it too.

Unfortunately.. issues with AntiVirus, AntiMalware, etc are a challenge across the desktop software landscape.  

0 Cheers
kerrtaxcpa
Level 1

For me it is Windows Defender stopping the program. This is after moving my files from another computer. So maybe Proseries could start by notifying the biggest security program out there if this exception is ok

0 Cheers