Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program crashing when printing required Fed Forms with State

dkh
Level 15

If the box is checked to include  "Federal Forms for State (if required)    my program crashes.   I'm printing a Michigan return.  

Is anyone else experiencing this?   I'm concerned what will happen when e-filing this same return next week. Will all the proper forms efile with the return?

@Orlando  has this been reported yet? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive always thought that Efiling they automatically get sent, I keep that box unchecked, I dont want the extra copy of the fed printing out unless Im filing a return by paper.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Without trying to be my sarcastic self, stop clicking that box.  I assume you are e-filing the return so why do you need to duplicate the federal forms for a client copy of the return?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reporting, and I'm sorry for the frustration.

This hasn't hit my radar, but that doesn't mean others haven't experienced it.  I just tried to reproduce and couldn't, which usually means there is something specific in the return that the program code wasn't expecting.

Can you..

• Cause the crash, and in the Crash Dialog that comes up put in "For Orlando, From DKH"
  • Restart ProSeries, choose Help -> Send Logs, and email the resulting zip file to proseries_engineering@intuit.com
  • Optional.. if you are comfortable with it.. Can you Email us a sanitized copy of a return that is crashing? The sanitization process replaces all private information with random data. If we're lucky we'll still be able to reproduce the crash, which is usually the hard part - if we can reproduce it, we can fix it.  Use steps 1 - 5 here to generate the file, then email the sanitized copy to us.  If you want to confirm before mailing, you can "Open Client" the sanitized copy to confirm no private data is transferred.. or you can create a quick (?) one from scratch (although I tried that.. so again I'm assuming there's some level of complication to the return that's needed to repro the crash)

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

The federal attachments aren't why I check the box, it's the state attachments that I really want/need.    The Michigan return allows a credit for the Indiana county tax paid and requires the Indiana return be attached. I check the box so the Indiana information prints when Michigan return prints.   I can manually print but why should I when the program will do it for me. 

dkh
Level 15

@Orlando wrote:

Can you.

•  Use steps 1 - 5 here to generate the file, then email the sanitized copy to us.  

Steps 1-5  where?  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Evidently your answer to Orlando would be "no" 😁

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Here, sorry: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/how-do-i-sanitize-a-client-file-in-proser...     

1. Go to your HomeBase.
  2. Click on the client you need to sanitize. Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard if you need to select multiple clients.
  3. Select the File menu at the top left.
  4. Click on Client File Maintenance, then select Sanitize...
  5. A new window will open when your sanitization is complete. Take note of the Location for sanitized data files displayed here.
    • Note: To open a sanitized file, click File and Open Client, then navigate to the YYSanitize folder shown in step 5. Near the bottom, click on the file type and select All Files.
dkh
Level 15

@Orlando    I recreated the crash and input "For Orlando from DKH" in dialog box.   Before I posted on the Forum, I had it narrowed down to the printing of the Michigan return with box checked to include Federal Forms.  

and I emailed the Send Logs to ProSeries Engineering      

I'll work on sending you a sanitized copy here shortly

Your help is greatly appreciated.

dkh
Level 15

No smarty pants...😝. I have no problem recreating the "crash" .   I figured I might as well send them all I can to fix it if I'm going to beeootch about it.   But I didn't know how to do the sanitized file.      

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Perfect.. with the sanitized file I was able to reproduce! I expect we'll have a fix identified within a day or so, and hopefully a workaround. I will update as soon as there is news.