Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems ef an amendment

Neal-Boismenue
Level 1

I am trying to efile an amendment for a client.  We efiled her original return in April.  I made a copy of the original and renamed it.  I went back to original efiled return, updated it and it is telling me I cant efile the amendment because the original was not efiled.  I can clearly see the original return efiled and accepted by the IRS.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

There are new instructions for efiling 2019 1040x. You need to restore the original return, and follow the new instructions located at top of this page

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to use the original file for the amended return, not a copy.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Neal-Boismenue
Level 1

I am using the original return.

0 Cheers
Neal-Boismenue
Level 1

I did everything as the instructions stated.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"I made a copy of the original and renamed it."

You need to use the same file with the same file name.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is how I explained it to someone else with the same issue and they were able to resolve it and Efile the 1040X

Let' s say you have a client file named  SmithJohn.19i that needs to be amended.

If youre going to make a copy before amending (I never do, I just save a printed or PDF of the original, its not correct so I dont see a need to keep it as a computer tax file) then the copy you save should be something like SmithJohnOrig.19i and uncheck the EF boxes on it.

Then use the same file that you Efiled originally SmithJohn.19i to create and Efile the amendment. 

That way the program recognizes the original as being Efiled by you and also, when you roll the file into the 2020 program next season you're still using same the SmithJohn. tax file that has the correct info into the new tax year.