Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem filing 2019 Federal Return

Jasvbrown
Level 1

Hello. I am having a problem filing a 2019 Federal return.  It converts but does not transmit.  The message keeps says, after several attempts, that the file is "ready to transmitt/"  I have logged out, restarted my computer abd nothing. (by the way, the state return, california, filed without issue).

Please help

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

18 Comments 18
abctax55
Level 15

Intuit sent out in-product notices; the IRS provided notices, two threads were posted here, yesterday, discussing it  .....

E-filing is closed, and has been since November.  The IRS closes the MeF system down e.v.e.r.y. year to retool for the upcoming filing season. It usually re-opens in mid-to-late January.

The IRS *just* announced that re-opening will not happen until Feb 12, 2021 due to the last minute tax law changes.

I suggest you go to irs.gov & sign up for their free Alerts so you'll be one of the first to know when/if this date gets pushed back even further.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/quickalerts-more-e-file-benefits-for-tax-professionals

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"two threads were posted here, yesterday, discussing it"

Based on that drinking game reference, I think it was more than just two threads  🙂

On our local 10pm news, the crawl (the bottom ribbon with short notices and alerts) included that...

Filing season opens on Feb 12th.

https://www.kpax.com/news/national/irs-delaying-start-to-tax-filing-season-to-feb-12

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Holy crap.  And the search for “one” continues.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

only 11:30 here but it is 5 o'clock somewhere  🥃  (english breakfast tea with honey)

Camp1040
Level 10

263,647 and still spinning.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Along with the bearing grease and spare bearings, you did pick up a couple rolls of duct tape, didn't you?  You just never know when you are going to need it when that counter starts spinning out of control.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

"...And the search for “one” continues"

I'm starting to think that the fact "we" are just enabling this new cycle of tax professionals by so readily provide the answer that they should already know because:

1) They stay informed by getting info directly from the IRS thru signing up for those * F R E E * alerts.

2) They go to the IRS website to look for info

3) Their recent continuing education informed them.

4) They are capable of reading/comprehending the in-program alerts and remembering them three-four weeks later.

5) They know how to use Google

6) ??  (feel free to add to the list)

( Generic Comment )"
Camp1040
Level 10

Of course, a person would not even attempt a moon landing without duct tape in the toolbox!

qbteachmt
Level 15

"6) ?? (feel free to add to the list)"

It was on TV, for the general public to know. Wouldn't it be embarrassing to talk to your client and have them inform you of something you should have known professionally?

IRonMaN
Level 15

"6) ??  (feel free to add to the list)"

7)  I've got morons on my team. 🙁

Slava Ukraini!
Jasvbrown
Level 1

I agree.  Had some health challenges toward the end of last year.  Should have done my homework when I recovered.

Thanks to all.

JB

IRonMaN
Level 15

Stay healthy!

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@Jasvbrown 

Yes, please.... get health & stay healthy.  That really is all that matters.

Didn't mean to be rude; *we* just get a bit tired of the same question over & over - from folks that don't have a good excuse such as you.

( Generic Comment )"
ajp
Level 5

The notification from the IRS in my email just mentioned that the filing season will begin on Feb. 12th.  It states that we can file 2020 returns at that time.  It didn't seem clear to me that 2019 was also shut down until then.  I do vaguely remember it shutting down in November.  However, when a corporate return has no issue begin electronically filed (the other day) it seems that the whole system is not down.  Is it only down for 1040 and 1041?  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@ajp  When the IRS shuts down MeF, typically, neither current nor prior year returns can be e-filed until the system reopens.

You can now e-file business returns because MeF for business returns was reopened on Jan 8, 2021 as announced by the IRS.  At the time that announcement was made, there's no update yet on MeF for individual returns.

The IRS then made an announcement last Friday (to the surprise of those who were betting that MeF for individual returns would reopen by late Jan as in prior years although it is not totally unexpected given the circumstances) that MeF for individual returns will only be reopened on Feb 12, 2021.

So, there you have it.  If you want to paper-file 2020 individual returns before Feb 12, of course you could but I don't see how given the number of forms and schedules that are still in draft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
ajp
Level 5

Thank you for your help.  I am thinking that the 1041 for trusts has the same date at the individual returns. I will pay closer attention to the updates.  When the corp one went through, my mind somehow jumped to the conclusion that the 1041 would too.  

Thanks again for the clarification.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @ajp.  Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"However, when a corporate return has no issue begin electronically filed (the other day) it seems that the whole system is not down. Is it only down for 1040 and 1041?"

Here's what you see on the IRS' MeF status page:

Filing Season Start Dates:

Business tax returns: January 8, 2021

Individual tax returns: TBD

Obviously, their press release is ahead  of their own web status update.

0 Cheers