Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Series Basic how do I email my client’s tax return as a password-protected PDF

stcrhog
Level 2

last year in pro series basic I was able to email my client’s tax return as a password-protected PDF

I can not find how to do it this year in ProSeries Basic

can anyone help please?

thank you in advance 

Cheryl

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

35 Comments 35
LLDcpa
Level 2

I am having the same problem. I have called three times (spent over three hours on hold) and no one has been able to help me. The web site says that it is part of the package.

0 Cheers
GC1
Level 1

In talking with customer support, the programmers did not set up the 2019 software to include a Send email feature.  Obviously, we need more people to complain about not being able to do so - so that Intuit will take note and fix it!  This was a very nice feature that was very quick and easy to use and one of the reasons I've been using ProSeries.

dbelling
Level 3

That is no longer available to basic users.  I spoke with a rep.  You can create a pdf and then sen as an attachment in an email.

stcrhog
Level 2

could you send me the link where it says that the Pro Series Basic includes the email password protected PDF

thanks

Cheryl

LLDcpa
Level 2

https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/features/

scroll down to where it says utilities and tools

0 Cheers
mcd1231
Level 4

This software price increases by leaps and bounds every year and the quality just gets worst.

LLDcpa
Level 2

What makes me angry is that their web site says the feature is available. I think that is false advertising. Contemplating contacting the BBB.

LFG
Level 1

Thanks for info.

That was a nice feature in the program.  I agree with other comment regarding prices keep going up sharply and this feature should not have gone away.

taxinfo44
Level 1

I agree removing this feature was terrible

darocco
Level 5

I called Intuit and they are well aware of the situation. It is ridiculous for a program that is so expensive to omit this feature. All they could recommend was to add this to the suggestions on improvements. I did under ease of use. Please go there and add your comments. They said if enough people voted on that..they would bring it back....They would not answer why they did not include it this year. Obviously, it would take a programmer very little time to include this. Not having this options adds so much more time to the return. More importantly, it was never disclosed that they would not have this....There are a lot of other tax software companies significantly less expense that have this option....It's just not right not to inform us before renewal.

LLDcpa
Level 2

On this it says it is offered. Check it out!

0 Cheers
darocco
Level 5

If you follow through the links regarding pro series basic emailing feature... the final page  that would describe the feature no longer exist...

I would hope this was an over site and not a petty way of having us upgrade to the full proseries Professional package.
Seriously, Intuit is not making enough money...

0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

It appears that ProSeries decided instead  of rectifying that they offered services for sending PDF last year, which many tax professionals shared with their clients, they would instead remove it from 2018 (post) and not add to 2019 and remove the complaint page from the people who have requested this process improvement. I've faithfully used ProSeries from ground up, but I'm going to have to look elsewhere if this is not addressed appropriately (just on the grounds of principal). They are usually one of the better small business provided, but this is really a sticky issue.  I would like to know how the community is handling this going forward, my email does not encrypt and password protect, what vehicles do people use in light of this .. or what does ProSeries recommend as an alternative product?

Frustrated small practicioner

IRonMaN
Level 15

Using third party software is the common route.  Personally I use Adobe for that purpose but there are free third party softwares out there that will encrypt or password protect pdf files.

Slava Ukraini!
LLDcpa
Level 2

If you go to utilities and tools it still says it is included.

I purchased (another $180 per year) adobe that lets you send an encrypted file. Really upsets me. No one takes features away AND raises the price!

darocco
Level 5

Why should we have to pay for another software package; especially since this is expensive enough and not competitive with other tax software companies. It's ridiculous that this wasn't disclosed prior to renewal.

GirgisTax
Level 1

it is a good feature that saves time. Would you let me know where I should go and vote for adding this feature back? thank you

0 Cheers
darocco
Level 5

I didn't want to have to buy Adobe...All I need is password protection...I was searching the Microsoft Store and purchased for 1.99 Secure pdf...Nothing fancy just encrypts and adds passwords to open and another for printing...Works perfect...All you do is add the pdf to their software..put in a password and it converts the file..Also, takes a second to remove the password. I tested by pass protecting one of my clients tax return file and emailed to me....Once I opened the email and downloaded...first page was to ask for password..put the password in and no problem...The app also has a free 24hr trial period..After I tested it, I purchased..Hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap alternative

mpearcecpa
Level 2

This is so upsetting that they took this super important feature away.   They are becoming a terrible company with 50 minute wait times to get any support.   Then spent 30 minutes talking to an agent that was clueless until she read this forum that they only have this feature now in "Professional".  I think I'll be looking elsewhere for software next year.   Pricing keeps going up and took away a super feature.  It's irresponsible for us CPA's to be sending files that are not secure.   Shame on you INTUIT.  

0 Cheers
Marty R
Level 1

You would think that Intuit would want to go above and beyond for their clients - its totally ridiculous that they take away a security feature that was previously included forcing us to go out and purchase another program.  I can't believe that it would cost them more than pocket change to fix this, but obviously they aren't going to.  We still have freedom of choice, time to look at their competition, I've been a loyal client forever

0 Cheers
mpearcecpa
Level 2

I did take one member suggestion to use "Soda PDF".   It's an extra step, but it's free and very easy to use.  You basically just print the return as usual and then you open the file using Soda PDF desktop version.   It's similar to using Acrobat, you just open the file with Soda pdf, and then click on security and click on password protect and enter a password.   Then you just need to communicate the password to your client.  

I'm still really disappointed in Intuit for not giving us this feature as they falsely communicated it was included.  

0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

IRonMaN,

My issue is that they had the feature, they then removed it, and especially now with the COVID-19, this would have been the safest route or add on for a fee for us to use.  I think that this was a serious oversight not to update on the companies side.  I appreciate your recommendation, but my clients were used to last year's option and now I've had to retrain them and risk a third party security feature for them to also use.  Honestly, it makes no sense. 

0 Cheers
darocco
Level 5

Thanks for the info but I could not find Soda .pdf free anywhere. They had a free trial period but that was about it.

where did you get it? I went through CNET and their link.

0 Cheers
mpearcecpa
Level 2

I just googled Soda PDF free version and i was directed to download the desktop version.   They didn't ask for a credit card or anything like that.  I definitely didn't pay for it.  And it works really good.  I can see me using it outside pro-series for other sensitive documents.

I am attaching a link"  hope this helps.   Just go thru the steps and install the desktop version.  Its very similar to Adobe pdf in which you just open a pdf file but it gives you more features like being able to password protect.   If you have trouble you can give me your cell and I can walk you thru it.

https://www.sodapdf.com/ppc/web/en/free-pdf-creator/?cmp=spdf_fre_b_us_s_s_all&key1=pfcSodaPDF&key2=...

darocco
Level 5

Got it... thanks.... already had an app I purchased for 1.99 on main computer for passwords but downloaded this software on my laptops... thanks so much...

0 Cheers
nat_TaxCH
Level 1

Same here, i'm fed up of this annual price increase and capability decrease.  I was also looking for this feature as i used it last year...ridiculous

Romanh
Level 2

I agree the price is keep going up and the service is going down.  

0 Cheers
Elwood
Level 1

This is kind of bull s***.  These are tax documents with a lot of sensitive information on them.  I guess I thought that since I'm spending over $1,000 for the "BASIC" version, I'd at least be able to email client copies of tax returns in a safe, password protected format.  Common Intuiit!  Let's get this right.  I've been a customer for well over 30 years.  You've made a lot of $$ off of me. This is my first year on the Basic program as I'm winding down my practice.  I'd sure like to tell other tax professionals that I never had a bad experience with Intuit.  Can you help me here?

darocco
Level 5

This is so ridiculous. Intuit is the most expensive software and last year they eliminated this from the Basic software. I ended  up purchasing a third party encryption program and use that to password protect tax return before emailing to client. Seriously…. Intuit… petty…

I also was a client since their first year. I used ProSeries until 6 years ago when I started winding down my practice. At that point I downgraded my subscription. I guess I should be grateful that my subscription is grandfathered in since they no longer offer the combination of unlimited Basic and 15 business returns through ProSeries. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I don't believe this. It is only January 24th and look at the complaints against Intuit and people  saying that they are going to change.

rcooley25
Level 11

I would like to find out how you got a p-rice for a little over $1000.00. I paid $2000.00 for my pro basic program.

0 Cheers
darocco
Level 5

Nobody said they were changing. The issue was that Intuit removed the password protection from the Basic program starting 2019 tax returns . Prior to that it was included. So yes it is petty of Intuit to eliminate something that is important and was included prior to 2019 returns.

0 Cheers
darocco
Level 5

I never said I paid $1,000…. I paid over 2,000.

0 Cheers
LFG
Level 1

I did the same.  It’s an extra step and annoying that is what we need to do especially after paying a large amount to Intuit.  Seems like this would be an integral part of the software, especially today with COVID.  Not having this simple feature is like having a great braking system in your vehicle but no brake pedal (unless you buy one from a 3rd party!)

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's only January 24th and it seems like some of us are already in a pi$$y mood.  How are you folks planning on hanging on until April 18th at this pace?

Slava Ukraini!