Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO SERIES 2019 INSTALL FAILS Consistently

JVRCO
Level 2

We have spent more than 8 hours on the phone with tech support trying to install PROSERIES 2019 stand alone, on a single machine with no remote resources.

The install fails/exits with NO diagnostic information, however the Windows event service does record the entries below.

PROSERIES 2016, 2017, and 2018 are running without issue on the same machine.

When we ask to speak to a supervisor, we are told that the agents have no supervisors and are transferred to the hold queue again.

We have requested that the issue be escalated to the next level of support and mysteriously our call is dropped.

Below are the diagnostics recorded in the Windows event log:

Application: Install.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
   at UpdateInstaller.RTPatchWrapper.PatchW32.DLL_Apply(System.String, UpdateInstaller.RTPatchWrapper.Interfaces.RTPatchCallBack, Int32)
   at UpdateInstaller.RTPatchWrapper.PatchW32Wrapper.DLL_Apply(System.String, UpdateInstaller.RTPatchWrapper.Interfaces.RTPatchCallBack, Int32)
   at UpdateInstaller.RTPatch.ApplyPatch(System.String)
   at UpdateInstaller.Installer.worker_DoWork(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr, System.Object[], System.Object, System.Object[] ByRef)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessageSink)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.DoAsyncCall()
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.ThreadPoolCallBack(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

and

Faulting application name: Install.exe_unknown, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x5dcc55a0
Faulting module name: patchw32.dll, version: 12.50.0.0, time stamp: 0x56ccc525
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x0001f7b6
Faulting process id: 0x168c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d546262b4294
Faulting application path: E:\Install.exe
Faulting module path: E:\patchw32.dll
Report Id: 30daef30-0a86-4f10-9428-0f5f5af9b2df
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

36 Comments 36
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I am by no means IT or Tech Support.....does your system meet the requirement for 2019's program? 

Have you tried contacting a local IT. 

Support is hardly an option anymore unfortunately. 

JVRCO
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

The system in question meets or exceeds the requirements for installing 2019.  We have verified this with PROSERIES tech support.

It was our local tech support that was able to find the diagnostic information detailed on our original post.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Looks like a job for:

@IntuitAustin 

Slava Ukraini!
robertvito5764
Level 2

Is your PC 64-bit?  This years program enhanced the software to that level.

BV

Happy-Tax
Level 5

I'm in way over my head here, but do you know why these two lines show E:\ rather than C:\   ?

Faulting application path: E:\Install.exe
Faulting module path: E:\patchw32.dll

Also, do you have another computer (laptop or 2nd desktop) on which you can try installing just to see if the glitch is unique to the one computer?

This definitely looks like something Intuit tech support should have been able to resolve without a lot of fuss.

JVRCO
Level 2

The E:\ path is were the CD that contains the installation media is.

IRonMaN
Level 15

So if you are trying to install from a CD, have you tried logging into your ProSeries account and download the program from there?

Slava Ukraini!
JVRCO
Level 2

the same problem occurs when we download and install from their site as well.

0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Welcome to the Tax Pro Community! 

We're glad you're here. 

I'm researching your problem and working with our support team to identify possible solutions. I will respond here when I have more information. 

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Based on the information shared it’s likely something on your computer that is causing the installer to fail. It doesn’t really get any information beyond where it is failing, the patchw32.dll file when is normally written to the ProWin19\32bit folder. Because this is during the installer itself it indicates that there is something outside of our product that is causing the fault since our software is not even installed on the machine. If I were to take a guess at the root cause I would start to look at the Antivirus software which may be restricting access to the indicated dll file or resources required by that dll file.

You can also attempt things like safemode with network with your local IT person to run the installer then to complete the actual install, this would produce a different error (likely 1601 or 1603) but would be “Expected” to occur in safemode because required components for entitlement client install are not available in safemode but will be available again once they start in normal startup.

It’s best to work with your local IT person to troubleshoot what is causing the installer to crash as it’s likely something with the  environmental configuration or something with the Operating System that is the root cause, which limits what we are able to do over the phone. I would suggest even having your local IT person conference in with the ProSeries support team, if the IT has questions about the ProSeries install. conferenced in if the Local IT needs to ask questions regarding the ProSeries Install

0 Cheers
JVRCO
Level 2

I am the local IT support. 

It is intuitively obvious that this problem is induced environmentally.  Your level 1 support team have remoted in and validated our environment several times.

With respect to AV, we are only running Windows Defender.

With respect to Safe Mode, we tried that and nothing changed.

The OS and all components are at the most current level.

Yesterday when I asked to escalate the call to the next tier of support the call was mysteriously dropped. To date, we have spent more that 8 hours on the phone trying to get someone's attention.

We would be happy to work the support team, just tell me how to make this happen.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Here is a link to download a framework errors program that will fix the errors. I have not used it, but it may be worth a shot.

https://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename-gen/?file=Framework%20V4%200.30319&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjd2klo...

JVRCO
Level 2

This product did not help.

It did attempt to install malware when being used, I would not recommend that anyone use this under any circumstance.

0 Cheers
JVRCO
Level 2

Adding to my earlier response to IntuitAustin:

We have back and forth on this issue going on 3 weeks.

Your observations regarding patchw32.dll are incorrect - the diagnostics in my original post  clearly indicate the failing path and the failing module are on the Proseries installation CD.  It is Proseries installation process that is failing, an assertion that is support by other posts here, the most relevant where the Proseries installation process terminates because it concludes it is running on a Windows 8.1 machine when it actually running on Windows 10.

I have since removed all of the dependent components (.NET, C++) and had the Proseries installation process install them directly on the system in question during the install process, and it fails in exactly the same manner.  Therefore, all of the running components were either directly supplied by Proseries on the CD or downloaded by the Proseries supplied installation process.  Since all of the components involved in the installation process can be attributed to Proseries directly or indirectly, the argument that some external entity is the cause of the problem problematic at best and misleading at worst.

We have been Proseries customers for more that 12 years and we would like to think that Proseries would like to keep us as customers.

We are eagerly awaiting Proseries to behave in a manner consistent with a company that cares about its customers.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I tried to read through all the info you included above...maybe I missed it, have you tried to install from the CD?  Earlier in january I saw multiple people with install issues using the download and once they tried it with the CD they finally had success...if not, I wonder how fast Intuit could get a CD out to you.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JVRCO
Level 2

We have used the CD to perform the install, downloaded from the web site, and used the quick launch approach, all methods failed in the same manner.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Personally, I would have been totally frustrated by now and thrown the computer out the window.  After I bought a new computer I would then probably search out another software for this tax season.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im honestly not sure where to go with this either....could the harddrive have a bad cluster or something (I dunno, do HDs still go bad like they use to?).  

Im sure support had you change the name of the folder to OldProWin19 after you uninstalled and before you attempted a reinstall....any chance youve got a dual drive that you could choose a different place to install?

JVRCO
Level 2

The target drive has no errors, validated with CHKDSK, we have tried a different hard drive as well (D:/), same results.

We finally got thru to Proseries tech support and are on the phone with them now, again!

So far >2hrs, no progress....

0 Cheers
JVRCO
Level 2

Here is the latest update on this saga....

This case has been open since the 21st of this month, 9+ days!

Today (1/30/2020) we spent 3 hours on the phone with level 1 support only to be told that level 2 support would finally accept the escalation and someone will call us back in 24 to 48 hours, really?  

It takes a customer 9 (painful!) days to convince Pro Series that their installation software is broken and their response is, someone will call you in 1 or 2 days.  

Someone at Pro Series should be embarrassed and fired over this.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Jvaco, sorry about that site with malware, hope you weren't harmed by it. I found a manually fix ( I tried it and it does not hurt anything, don't know if it will work, as I am not having any problems) Here is link

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/open-programs/manually-fix-microsoft-net-framework...

Happy-Tax
Level 5

Just a thought - have you tried a System Restore to go way back before all this happened, and tried just starting over with the install? Sorry, I wish I had more to offer.

0 Cheers
TLQuickTax
Level 1

I copied patchw32.dll from another system that doesn't have problems and replaced in the directory of the software. C:\ProWin19\32bit  

IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Just to close loop here, our support team was able to resolve the original poster's issues. 

JVRCO
Level 2

Just to re-open the issue

The support team was able to solve the install problem, but......

Now when PROSERIES 2019 is trying to download and install updates, it hangs, never responds, we are unable to work and file any returns.

We contacted Bert, the support person who helped us previously via email yesterday and have yet to get a response.

I have been on hold for more than 2 hours so far.

What is it going to take for someone to take this issue seriously?

We are loosing revenue and our credibility with our clients is suffering.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Try using the Refresh Updates choice under the Updates heading on the toolbar, that should flush out any bad or partially uninstalled updates and refresh with a clean download/install.

JVRCO
Level 2

We tried to Refresh the updates.

We get the dialog box,a s expected, and then it dissapears, and this following is in the event log:Picture1.png

It should be noted that this is EXACTLY the same stack trace we received when trying to do the base install!

Clearly the problem that the technician worked around to get 2019 installed will have to be replicated each time an update to 2019 is required.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin   you need to jump back in here, this is way out of our league here!

IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Thanks @Just-Lisa-Now- 

@JVRCO I'm checking with support to see if they have any insight on this. I'm sorry to hear this issue resurfaced for you. 

Update 

--

After corresponding with the support team, they asked me to have you get in touch with them again. Our support team believes the issue is related to .net. Here's an article from Microsoft about that error.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/net-runtime-the-process-was-terminated-due-to-...

0 Cheers
JVRCO
Level 2

Just to get on the public record on this ongoing and still unresolved issue:

1. Per the direction of @IntuitAustin I reached out to [email address removed] on 20-FEB-2020 requesting further assistance with this issue
  2. They replied requesting screen shots of the event log showing the failure and a copy of the update logs.
  3. These were supplied the requested information to them on 20-FEB-2020
  4. We requested a status update on 24-FEB-2020
  5. They replied on same date stating "I do not see any failures in the update logs as of 2/19. " Implying that there is not problem.
  6. Later on that same day we responded with the following "The Windows Event log clearly shows that your application ProSeriesUpdate.exe fails due to an unhandled exception.
    Had the exception been caught I would expect to see something in the log, since it was not, it is natural consequence that there are no entries in the log to indicate a failure.
    So, what is the next step here, what is the next level of escalation?
    Can your development organization send us an instrumented version of your application that would allow us (and you) to see what the root cause of the failure is?
    This not being addressed in a timely fashion has a severe financial implication on our business.
    I strongly recommend that this be communicated to your management immediately.
    If there is someone else that we can contact to escalate this matter please let us know who that is."
  7. The next day [email address removed] responded requesting additional log data, stressing the point that they are not seeing other reports of this and recommending that we fix .net, again.
  8. We responded with the requested information along with the following note: "Below is the information you requested.  In addition, the owners of James V. Rizzo & Company, LLP, Proseries account #7701504238. would like to have a conference call with your leadership early this week, they are copied here.  This issue has gone unresolved for too long, this has impacted their firm financially, they have to pay my firm to collect information that could have easily been collected by Proseries tech support. Reviewing the correspondence on this matter, anyone skilled in the art can see that there is a clear lack of urgency demonstrated on behalf of Proseries in relationship to a Proseries client not being able to use a Proseries product"
  9. On 4-MAR-2020, [email address removed] responded with an additional request for log data
  10. On 5-MAR-202 we responded with the requested data and the following note: "The information requested is attached. Can you please let us know when we can expect to be contacted regarding our original request for a meeting?"

As of the date and time of this posting, we have heard nothing further, our numerous requests to be contacted on the matter have been ignored, there has been absolutely no effort made to contact us, other that to request additional information, information that any qualified technical support person could have  accessed themselves remotely.  We have made it clear that this is this problem is causing financial harm in clearly demonstrable fashion.

As I have stated in previous posts on this and the earlier install issue, my firm provides tech support to @JVRCO and as such has had to pay us to champion this issue, collect the data necessary, etc.

All this to support what is nothing more than a desktop application, this poor excuse for customer support should be an embarrassment.

I have made @JVRCO aware of the terms and conditions of the Intuit license agreement with respect disputes and the prescribed methods for resolution and hope that someone at Intuit corporate leadership level demonstrates some fundamental customer service values  and sense of urgency  to retain a 15 year customer.

We look forward to a meaningful and rapid response.

0 Cheers
the_local_IT
Level 1

I am curious to know what became of this issue? @IntuitAustin

I have been scouring the Intuit/ProSeries so called "Community Support Forums" for a similar problem I am having while trying to install the 2016 & 2017 ProSeries Basic Standalone editions for a client. The rather annoying problem I keep running into is that since Intuit changed their Support Forum domain, 90% of the support links are broken and redirect me back to the Support Forum home page. 

@JVRCO After reading through your posts, I have a feeling Intuit/ProSeries is about to have another very dissatisfied, 9+ year customer. Please let me know if there is light at the end of the tunnel or if I am just plain SOL. 

"I look forward to a meaningful and rapid response." 😉😆

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

We actually may need to get @Orlando  involved in this issue.

0 Cheers
the_local_IT
Level 1

It appears @Orlando is on vacation?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not sure, hes usually pretty good at responding, and hes really good with install issues.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Yes, sorry - i was out last week... but I'm not sure which problem i'm being asked about.

In terms of the support articles being broken in older products... I'm frustrated by that too. Unfortunately I would not expect resolution.. but i will ask.

Regarding the main thread, this is the first I've become aware of it and do not know if there was resolution.  I will ask about that too.

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

Following up.. I just realized the initial post from JVRCO was last year. I can't speak to what that was or what the resolution was as it predates me.  

Regarding the links - in reading your post again it sounds like that was an annoyance encountered while trying to figure out an install issue.  What is that underlying install issue?

Regarding the links - can you provide an example? Are these broken links in product or in past community postings?

0 Cheers