Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

preparer code

cpamitchell
Level 1

The program seems to have deleted the preparer code I input when installing.  Every file says it is not valid.  If I enter the info where asked, it only lasts while I am in that particular client, until I close that file, then it is gone completely again.  This is true for business and 1040.  I tried to input without being in a file and it would not stick either.  I signed into "my Intuit account" as instructed, but there you can only change the firm information, not add preparers.

Anyone had this issue?  How resolved?  Or do I have to wait on hold forever to ask customer service?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

20 Comments 20
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

from home base, click on tools, then options. from there go to firm/preparer info, and put in a preparer code

cpamitchell
Level 1

That is exactly what I have been doing, that does not work.  As soon as I go out of that screen it is gone (that is, the save function does not work).

0 Cheers
Tax Dude
Level 2

<<CPAMITCHELL>>

Just to confirm, are you using ProSeries 1040? If so, you must be in HomeBase View before proceeding.

Then click the “Tools” menu and scroll to “Options” at the bottom. On left side menu, you should see “Firm/Preparer Info” half way down. Click on this, and you should be able to enter the global settings for your firm at the top. You must enter all of this information first. Then, just below the firm information, is a section called “Preparer/Electronic Return Originator (ERO) Information.” This must also be filled out with at least one tax preparer listed. Note: Some of the information may be redundant, and I suspect this may be the source of some confusion. Once the first tax preparer is entered, you can enter additional tax preparers directly beneath. Hope this helps!  

mysskyng
Level 1

I am having this exact same issue.  What is going on ProSeries???

0 Cheers
mysskyng
Level 1

This is not working.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  Been using it for years; never before had this happen.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@Orlando Maybe he will look into your issue. I would suspect it is something unique to your computer, as it is working for most folks, or this board would light up like the proverbial xmas tree.

Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for the frustration. Hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

To confirm, you've tried changing here?

2021-02-06_08-07-47.png

What happens if you change another field in the preparer? For example the name?

What happens if you change the preparer code, change tabs, then change back?

Can you try to change it via Help->Options Setup Wizard?

2021-02-06_08-08-10.png

Finally, can you

*Launch ProSeries

* Go to Help->Send Logs

* Email the resulting .zip file (saved to your desktop) with this file as an attachment.  Include a link to this community post for reference, so we know who you are and which case this is.

Orlando

I am having the same issue.  Blank to start the year although we've been using for a decade.  Manually inputted all information.  Worked for a couple of days.  Went it today to print a return, everything is blank again even for prior years.  Extremely frustrating.

0 Cheers
Andrei
Employee
Employee

Hi!

What happens if you change some other information (not the preparer code) on your tools>options>firm/prep info screen?

As a test... if you change your firm phone number (don't forget to change it back later!!), close the options, and re-open. Do you still see the change reflected in the phone number?

0 Cheers

I ended up removing everything and reloading.  So far so good!

Spoke to soon.  Everything has disappeared again.

0 Cheers
Andrei
Employee
Employee

Ugh sorry to hear that 😞 

Did it work for a bit at least? Gives me a starting point to investigate. 

0 Cheers

Yes.  For like a week

0 Cheers

Where is the info going?  Seriously starting to impact business.  Please help.  

0 Cheers
Andrei
Employee
Employee

What happens if you:

1. Open Firm/Preparer Info

2. Make a change to one of the field

3. Close Firm/Prep Info

4. Reopen Firm/Prep Info

Do you see the change you made reflected on the form?

2021-02-23_15-31-49.png

0 Cheers

Yes.  But like I said I have done this multiple times.  Come back in a couple of days.  All blank again.  

In addition, why is no one answering the phones.  I've been on hold for hours and no one has picked up.  Please help.  I once again cannot efile any returns today.  Please provide me with a number wherein I can talk to a human asap.  Thanks.

0 Cheers

Still occurring for me.  Beginning to think they don't care.  Sigh

0 Cheers
pallsevy
Level 3

no it is not working for me and I am getting so frustrated?

0 Cheers
pallsevy
Level 3

So did this get resolved at all.  I am getting frantic too!!!!!.  It has been working earlier this year.

0 Cheers

Not at all.  Had to manually enter everything again yesterday.  Including rates per form!

0 Cheers