Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing Scam

Chris268
Level 3

I have started receiving numerous emails asking for my help with an IRS letter and the 1040 and payroll.  They are all identical or very similar.  I am certain they are a phishing scam but don't know what they would be trying to get.

Some have documents attached with illegible Xcel spreadsheets.  I've never seen a W-2 sent as an Xcel file.  Some emails say the documents are attached but there is nothing there.  

Is anyone else receiving this and does anyone know what they would be phishing for?  I answered one several times and told him to just fax me the documents, but did not get a reply.

Are they just trying to give me a virus?

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YES!    This is a common phishing technique that tax preparers get.  The ones that say basically the same thing in all of them are pretty easy to spot, but some do get more sophisticated, so you have to be vigilant.

Do not download anything from strangers!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YES!    This is a common phishing technique that tax preparers get.  The ones that say basically the same thing in all of them are pretty easy to spot, but some do get more sophisticated, so you have to be vigilant.

Do not download anything from strangers!

twphilli
Level 3

I would say the biggest concern here is the attachments--definitely do not open them. Giving you a virus is the most likely goal.

They could also attempt to get some info on your firm once they become a "client," so yeah, I'd say don't open, don't respond, increase the security level on your spam filter if possible. Sorry you're dealing with that.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Subscribe to some of the IRS news items https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/e-news-subscriptions

IRS Newswire has warned of this in the past couple of weeks. 

Guidewire keeps you up to date in Revenue Rulings and other law changes.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  "Do not download anything from strangers!"

And be careful about downloading anything from people you know.  Someone might have hacked into their email and used it to send you malware.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I guess a better way to think about it is, dont download anything that you werent expecting to be arriving.

Chris268
Level 3

I just got another one, and they are all basically the same:  IRS letter, need help with 1040 and payroll.

They are coming in hard and heavy now!

Thanks!