Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwriting PDF files in 2020

Randy Haynes
Level 4

Has anyone else noticed that this year (2020 program) when you print a tax return a second time, perhaps due to mistakes or late arriving documents from the client, the program no longer simply overwrites the existing PDF file? You now get the standard operating system message that the file already exists, and you have to either rename the new file or confirm that you want to save the file with the existing name and then confirm the overwrite once more. According to ProSeries tech support, this will be the standard moving forward. In my humble opinion, this is not a program improvement.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
sjrcpa
Level 15

Personally I think it is a good idea, to save us from ourselves.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Susan.  We do version control as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Add me to the list of “that’s a good thing”

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I noticed this just today. It automatically re-wrote in prior years. 

I actually agree with you. Its extra steps that I find annoying. I use the PDF to print my returns only, I used to print directly from within PS but found it was taking MUCH longer to do so, so I moved over to PDF. 

I talked to my IT and he said it is a PS change and not much I can do (I thought maybe there was a setting I missed). He also agrees with most that this should've been done a few years ago. 

PIA but it is what it is. 

PS: maybe delete files once a week within ProPDF? 

0 Cheers
Orlando
Intuit Alumni

I'm not sure if this was an intentional change, but I can look into making it an option since it sounds like there's people on both sides of the fence on this one.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

That would be great @Orlando. Let us know what you find out either way. Thanks!!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Goodness gracious.  I just went in and revised a return that I had printed to pdf last night and printed a new pdf today.  So I ended up having to do all of that extra work to overwrite the existing file.  If I blinked I would have missed the clicking that I had to do.  Instead of going back and changing the programming to allow the options of how you want to treat the printing of pdf files, I would prefer the time going into fixing MN business return printing.  I have to use the pdf function to print since printing directly to paper generates a return that appears that only a Klingon could read.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Hmmm, not sure if Worf and Data will agree with you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unfortunately, they aren't my clients so I still have to print to pdf.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Still annoying......

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Still annoying......"

There are lots of things that Intuit does that are annoying but yet we keep paying them every year for the right to be annoyed 😀

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Could not agree more my friend!!! 🤣😂🤣

violajr
Level 3

Just cam across this today as well.  Never seen it happen before and it is just extra clicks that we now have to make after changes have been made when reviewing the printed return.  Having an option to over ride the return or even auto number the return like it does when you print specific forms would be nice. So after the first time you print append _1 _2 _3 etc to the new PDF file.  Anything is better that having to confirm to overwrite. 

0 Cheers