Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY return rejected for invalid SSN after Federal 1040 already accepted

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I have 2 different returns sent to NYS both of which came back rejected due to invalid SSN. Their federals were already accepted without issue. 

I thought since the first client is an LPR maybe he had some issue with his SSN, but then the second client was rejected and she has birthright citizenship with no SSN issues as far as I am aware. 

While it is theoretically possible both of these clients could have issues with their SSN, the probability of that is infinitesimal. 

I have other returns being sent to NY and I am wondering if they will be rejected also. Is this is something on intuit's radar? I didn't have any issues with this until today. Just wondering if its a NY issue or intuit issue. 

thanks

31 Comments 31
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
invalid SSN or a return has already been filed in that SSN?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ejdtaxman
Level 7

both. the 1040 was filed successfully with no issues. it was accepted days ago for both. 

Now NY rejected saying invalid SSN. this should be impossible seeing as IRS reported no issue, but who am I. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive never seen a reject say "Invalid SSN".

Ive only seen name and SSN dont match, and SSN already filed a return for that tax year.

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I guess it's different when the state rejects it. 

the exact message was "The primary ID was either invalid, or could not be verified at this time."

then below, "The state of New York could not verify the primary social security number." followed a long missive about the IRS may be experiencing issues and to check if they have updated their records (I am convinced they have not since its 2 different people).

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Yea, that's different than Ive ever seen, very weird. Did you try and send it back through again, maybe it was just some weird hiccup?

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

No, haven't sent again yet.

I figured I would wait till tomorrow to see if whatever is going on, clears by then. 

But was just curious if this is happening elsewhere. Or if something with my software or something else entirely. just very weird. 

MelissaFerrara
Level 2

Every NY return I sent through yesterday has that reject code - was hoping someone has an answer to this too.

MelissaFerrara
Level 2

Just got off the phone with support - said you need to relicense product and refresh your updates - then try to refile - I am trying it - not sure it will work but thought I would give you the information.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi  can you see if this is an issue on NY's end?  Ive never seen that rejection message before.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Federal went through but NY didn't? Is is rejection code R0170? 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
Jack
Level 2

Hi.  I've had 4 rejected by NYS today and yesterday due to the same issue, which all had IRS acceptances.  I called Lacerte and they were less than helpful and unaware of any systemic issue.

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

Just did this, hopefully they go thru now. thanks 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi  looks like that is the reject code....

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/nys-efile-rejection-cod...

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

The team is researching this, thank you for reaching out. We'll be sure to update this thread when we get more information. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Intuit is aware of returns rejecting for error code R0170 - The primary SSN/ITIN was either invalid, or could not be verified.

If you have resubmitted or decide to resubmit, there will be a temporary hold on these returns as we work with the state for a resolution. 

No timeframe at this moment. 

Follow updates here:  

[edited]

CHRIS67
Level 2

Did the relicensing work I have had 30 same rejects since Saturday and am freaking out .

ejdtaxman
Level 7

check below, there won't be an answer for a while. 

0 Cheers
Jack
Level 2

Hi,

Any status update on NYS returns being rejected for error code R0170, the primary SSN/ITIN was either invalid, or could not be verified?  

By now, this must have impacted a sizeable amount of returns and practitioners....

Jack Berkowitz

0 Cheers
MelissaFerrara
Level 2

Wondering the same - I practice in NY and this is severely impacting the 10/15/2021 deadline. Can't find any updated information from Proseries. 

IntuitGabi

There are no updates at this moment. If you decide to submit, there will be a temporary hold on the return. 

0 Cheers
CHRIS67
Level 2

I resbmitted two days ago and still in limbo

0 Cheers
WPLink
Level 1

Me, too.  2 days ago and still nothing.  Wondering if I'll have to print it out and mail it by 10/15.

0 Cheers
Jack
Level 2

If NYS can't correct this, I'd have to print-out, ascertain signatures from clients all over the country and mail-out about 15 returns by 10/15/21. 

How will NYS ever be able to handle the manual processing of what is probably now a few thousand returns?

From the lack of information that is being furnished, it seems that only a few of us even care about this situation...

0 Cheers
CHRIS67
Level 2

I suggest resubmitting all rejects and just leave them in the hold limbo. The State has recieved timely. We have it recorded that they were submitted before deadline.

0 Cheers
CHRIS67
Level 2

I also agree that I am shocked at the lack of interest on a such a time sensitive and crucial issue.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

The IRS and New York State are working together on this. We are holding IND NY returns to prevent  rejections at this time. 

@CHRIS67 @Jack  

0 Cheers
WPLink
Level 1

Update:  I got a message this morning that my NY Return has been accepted. So I assume that will also be true for most others.

jamessite
Level 3

Most of my NY State returns have now been accepted by NY State. Only the first one I sent on Oct 5 is waiting for acceptance.

Jack
Level 2

Same here.  Actually, all of my NYS returns filed within the past week were accepted either late last night or early this morning. 

Thank you to all who posted in this forum.  I thought I was doing something wrong...

CHRIS67
Level 2

Yeah Hallallughia, So glad that crisis is over!! NEXT!!!

Jack
Level 2

LOL  LOL LOL

0 Cheers