Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non dependent qualify parent for Head of Household?

ritastone001
Level 5

My mind isn't functioning.  Non dependent (earnings too high)  graduated High School and enrolled in college.  Lives at home with mother. Mother pays all household expenses.  So this "child"  qualifies the mother for Head of household.  Right?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

First, let's take a step back.

If the child was a full time student for at least parts of 5 months, the child's "earnings" don't matter.  The child would be a dependent unless the child PAID for over 1/2 of their own support.

So with that in mind, does the child qualify as a dependent?

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

First, let's take a step back.

If the child was a full time student for at least parts of 5 months, the child's "earnings" don't matter.  The child would be a dependent unless the child PAID for over 1/2 of their own support.

So with that in mind, does the child qualify as a dependent?

ritastone001
Level 5

Well yes, yes she does.  I guess what had me bumfuzzled is that the parents income is about 1/3 of the child. The childs job paid bonus and covid pay for a lot of her hours.   And yes the phrase "income dosen't matter"  kept going around but wouldn't land any where. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The IRS interactive wizards include determining dependency and determining filing status. You might want to bookmark the links and read the IRS guidance.

Interactive wizards portal for determining dependency:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

Income doesn't matter, but who pays more than half the household expenses matters, and that's not the same as support.