Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ State Return Property Taxes (line 39a)

thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

Hi,

I have a question, the NJ property taxes are populated in ProSeries on line 39a and in the Smart Worksheet directly above.

It is not possible to see where this number is generating from. I cannot drill down.

The amount of real estate taxes on the mortgage statement is different. I can override the number in the Smart Worksheet with the number on the mortgage statement. But I would like to understand why I higher number is generating, it is almost 7000 higher than the number on the statement.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

its the real estate/property tax that shows up as incorrect. Is it drawing from a table behind the scenes, not sure why that field populates on its own in the smart worksheet.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Which tax year are you working with?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Im not familiar with NJ, can you Right click on the line and get a Cross Reference option in that menu? Or try going back the the Federal return and look at the Carryover Worksheet, see if you can see that state tax in there anywhere.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

its the real estate/property tax that shows up as incorrect. Is it drawing from a table behind the scenes, not sure why that field populates on its own in the smart worksheet.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

NJ real estate taxes flow from federal Sch A. The problem comes when you have a home office. NJ double counts the RE taxes deducted on the 8829 and deducts 100% on this line 39.

I don't use the mortgage 1098 to input taxes or interest.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.