Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ HCC and Schedule L for Taxpayers on Insured for 10 months

LinZee
Level 2

Am I missing something obvious?  I have a NJ client that was covered for 10 months so qualifies for the short gap exemption.  On the NJ-HCC I checked "part year insurance".  On the bottom I selected the 2 months the person was not insured and put in the short gap exemption code.  What I am stuck on is how to tell the program that the other 10 months of the year that person did have insurance.  It is giving a penalty for 10 months.  

I cannot figure out where to tell the program which months they were insured.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I'll look, but does the form ask for months un-covered or months covered?

Checks boxes for 10 months of coverage. That's what the instructions say.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
LinZee
Level 2

I have not found anywhere in the NJ tax return where it asks which months the taxpayers were insured and which months they were not.  

0 Cheers
LinZee
Level 2

Okay I figured out that the bottom of NJ-HCC is where you check the months they DID have coverage.  I was checking off the months to apply the exemption. 

This time I checked the months they had insurance and put in the exemption code for the other 2 months.  It is correct in saying the coverage was 10 months but it is still giving the penalty for the 2 months even though I entered an exemption code.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Sorry, I don't yet have a understanding about the healthcare exemptions for NJ.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
namlew523
Level 2

that's the SAME problem I've had with a client that does not make a lot of money and we're holding up her small refund because this dxxx program doesn't Erase/net to zero the Shared Responsibility Penalty even though I've filled out form HCC, obtained an Exemption Code from the NJ Department of Health

this IS Embarrassing!!!!  Pro Series rep told me LAST MONDAY it would be FIXED in a day or so

anyone have a work around for this; will NJ accept a Manual [paper] return if Federal was e-filed??

0 Cheers